Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Rebuilding my front forks..... AGAIN!!!! Looks like the seal rolled on itself somehow when I was putting it on...... dunno... had the shaft oiled but my PVC pipe was splintering so I think a piece of that got caught in it and made it catch........ Or I hit it with the screw driver when putting the snap ring back in.

Any way..... QUESTION:

Was think about how the air went into the forks after my last install....... just never looked, never thought about it and the books just say let the air out before dis-assembly. Well today I looked and I see it doesn't matter where the fork goes as the air hub that goes around the fork has a grove that goes 360 deg around the fork tube, which has a hole in it. My question is, there is grease there. What else seals this area??? How do I get grease back in there?? Fill the air groove in the air hub???

Thanks

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Good question. My entire onboard compressor/self leveling system was shot, other than the compressor itself. All the lines were rotted. I plugged up where the air line connected to the right front fork, and tried to put air in through the valve on the left fork. They would not hold air. The forks are very mushy, but they show no signs of fluid leakage (most of it may have already leaked out for all I know) Anyway when I get some other things fixed, and get it running again, I will do a fork oil change, and see what was in there. If the new oil does not leak out, but the forks are still mushy, I will change to a heavier oil. I am also looking to replace the rear shocks with standard non air units. I don't see how air suspension is so important for normal riding. I have had very few bikes with air suspension. My bought new '02 Vulcan 750 has air valves on the shocks and forks, the caps have never been off.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Each air manifold has three grooves, the centre one distributes the air to the hole in the fork the outer ones have o-rings in them to seal the area.

There should be no grease in there, just lightly coat the o-rings with oil.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Ken, I wil reassemble that way.

Jerry: I'm new here and not sure what the proper diplomacy would be here but responding to a post to tell about more issues with your own bike did not help me to much, nor anyone else you have done it too.

You should probably think about selling your 1200 if your that dissatisfied with it, but I sir, for now, am happy with mine.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Double post, sorry

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:

Jerry: I'm new here and not sure what the proper diplomacy would be here but responding to a post to tell about more issues with your own bike did help me to much, now anyone else you have done it too.

You should probably think about selling you 1200 if your that dissatisfied with it, but I sure, for now, am happy with mine.
:blackstuff::coollep::coollep::coollep::coollep::coollep:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I wish I did drink. I have an iPad in the garage to look thing up and whe I type, like a cell phone, it changes words trying to guess what I am trying to type, and I don't always go ba to check it,"......

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I wish I did drink. I have an iPad in the garage to look thing up and whe I type, like a cell phone, it changes words trying to guess what I am trying to type, and I don't always go ba to check it,"......

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Jerry: I'm new here and not sure what the proper diplomacy would be here but responding to a post to tell about more issues with your own bike did not help me to much, nor anyone else you have done it too.
You should probably think about selling your 1200 if your that dissatisfied with it, but I sir, for now, am happy with mine.
+2 (after roscoe).....and I don't even own an LTD:thumbsup:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

+3 after Mike and you were very diplomatic but it needed to be said.:applause:

I hope you don't mind but I'll have a drink in your honour.:blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

nuff said