Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

So, how hard is it to change out an alternator on a 1992 GL1500? and how easy is it to rebuild the one I have? Sounds like a bearing is going out in it, but it still works fine. Does anyone else have a dragging Alternator? Do I HAVE to replace this ASAP? or can I wait a few thousand miles until next riding season?

Just need your educated opinion..

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

It only takes about 30 minutes to change out the alternator. The hardest part is figuring out how to twist and turn it to get it out of the chasis, but it can be done! I replaced the brushes once (120,000 miles) and later replaced thealternator (210,000 miles) due to worn out bearings. If you suspect bearings, I would not wait to fix it. You could experience a total failure at a most inopportune moment.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thank you for the quick response. I will look for a how to DIY article and then tackle it this week-end.
30 Min job should only take me a few hours if I work fast and efficiently, but I think I may need a parts list.

·
Premium Member
64,639 Posts
imported post

30 min. if you've done it a few times..and you'll swear it grow when you try to put it back.. If you think the bearing is going out don't wait.. Don't want the bearing to spin in the cast.. Bearing # NSN6000DV std a any bearing supply house about $17/20.. Brushes from Honda are about $7.00 Check the isolators.. Black rubber in front of Alt about $16. off the net.. I think Honda wanted $24.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

When I changed the brushes, rear bearing, and rubber dampers, it took about 3 hours, only because I was following the manual, because I had never done it before. Now that I know what to do, probably do the entire job in about 2 hours, or less. Really not that hard.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
imported post

Ferrarimx5, I sent you an e-mail message with a DIY procedure attached. It will help with removal and dis-assembly of the alternator. Plus a few tips for installing new brushes.

Yes, it is a somewhat tight fit but not really that hard to remove/install. I usually push the alternator as far rearward as possible then pull the front part (impeller end) out first. That works quite well. When installing, I align the impellers with the rubber blocks, the push the alternator as far forward as possible before installing the bolts. Thread the bolts a few turns by hand before using the wrench. Be sure to keep the dowel pins (2 of them) in place. It only takes about 15 minutes to remove the alternator. I have removed/installed several of them.

Required to remove/replace the “original OEM” alternator
8 mm box wrench 10 mm box wrench

12 mm box wrench (preferably the ratchet type)

¼ “ Ratchet ¼” 8 mm socket

Needle nose pliers Large flat blade screwdriver

Of course a few other tools can be used but the above tools work best. Having and using the appropriate tools is about half the job........!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

DBoher, thank you for the E-mail, but it came just a little too late. Getting the Alternator out took just a few minutes, but using only the Goldwing Tool Kit and an extra screw driver, it took me 15 Minutes to completely disassemble the alternator and another 15 min to remove the rear bearing. Using the two screw drivers to remove the rear bearing was tricky, but I was successful. Now all I need is to find another rear bearing. Looks like a standard and common one so I should be able to find one without going to the Honda Shop.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Just as an update: Purchased the bearing for $6.00 and as soon as I get off work I am going to install it then reassemble the bike for a test drive. Should be fast and easy. The brushes look like new, so I decided not to change them. The old bearing looked and felt perfect, but I could see where it had spun in the housing. Although the housing does not look worn, do you have any advice on preventing the bearing from ever spinning again. Should I use a light coating of silicone adhesive or perhaps hair spray to keep it from happening again?

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
imported post

Ferrarimx5 wrote:
Thank you for the quick response. I will look for a how to DIY article and then tackle it this week-end.
Based on your post, it sounded like you were going to do it "this coming weekend". If that were the case, my e-mail would have been in time. Anyway, glad you got it done.

Since you didn't need my e-mail message, just toss the information away. No harm done.........!

I'll try to remember this for future reference........!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Dboher,
I did not mean to offend you, it's just that I decided to pull out the Halogens and surround my bike with light, pulled out the tool kit and dug right into the Goldwing. I sometimes get obsessed with something and I have to dig right in. I really really do want to thank you for sending the step by step instructions. I just wish I had waited until I had read your response. It sure would have made more sense for me to have all of the parts and all of the tools assembled before digging in, but like I said I sometimes get obsessed with something and just jump the gun.

FerrariMX5

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.