Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok I found some really really cheap 2004 R1 Rotors, can anyone tell me if these would fit into a 76 gl 1000.

Odds are it won't but it it will it will be awesome, So yes will a pair of 2004 R1 Rotors fit and be able to replace the front rotors on my 76 gl1000 thanks

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
imported post

2 chances, slim and none. I have been thinking though that if I can find myself another old wing I would try to put the complete front forks, wheel and brakes from a sport bike on it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

"exavid" so your saying the only way I would be able to get a slotted rotor to replace the easily heated once on the Gl 1000 would be to find a pair with the matching parts number, these aren't any other out there that would just bolt on?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I know of only two sources of brake rotors for Goldwings. One is Honda and the other is EBC. There may be others but I haven't heard of them. EBC makes brake parts for cars and bikes. Unless you're an extremely agressive rider the OEM type brake rotors on the Goldwing last a long time. I've never had a brake overheat even chasing my brother on his BMW in the mountains. If you're having overheating problems with the brakes it may be a problem with the caliper(s). A frozen caliper will cause brakes to drag and overheat.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I haven't had any problems yet as I haven't been able to ride it yet, I'm still in the process of rebuilding it. The only reason I was thinking of slotted rotors is cause I live in the mountains and there are tons of curvy roads and I just love them. and even in my Vespa gt200 I have slotted brake rotors, they are stock on the gt200. So I was just figuring that they might have a tendency to warp. But if you think they will be just fine with semi agrassive driving even though this wont be my agressive riding bike, I might just rething that whole idea of switching them out.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

The Early wing brakes are great for their time. About the biggest fault I have with them is the lack of authority in a hard rain. I have changed the front end on my 78 to a earlier version and put emc drilled rotors on it. Combine that with a M/C from Randakk and a set of SS Barid lines and she will stop the world from spinning!! CYBORG has a complete front end swap done like Dave0430 talks about. I forget what model they are from but it is a fantastic setup. No it was not a direct bolt up.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I overheated my brakes one time riding it very hard (raceing) thru the mountains , the fluid boiled and I had no brakes for about 30 minutes until they cooled down ,,,,,,,so this can happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.