Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know some of you have drilled your gas caps. What were you trying to accomplish and did the hole cure the ill?

My tank pressurizes just sitting around now. Without the bike ever being started it developes enough pressure to force fuel clear past the float valves.

I've soaked the cap in fuel system cleaner for a couple of days and a lot of crap came out of it. But it still developes a lot of pressure.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

For $25.82 plus tax your favourite store will hand you a new cap. If that doesn't cure the problem revisit your carburetors for the thousandth time.:shock:

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

I soaked my cap in white vinegar and then ran it through the dishwasher. After it was dry I replaced the rubber gasket. (Used a tiny dab of lube on the new gasket). If I had a cap from a California model 1500 with the hose fitting on it for emissions, I might try running a hose from the cap to an air stone (Used in aquariums to make bubbles). I think there should be some pressure in the system, but not too much. A new cap would probably be better, but not as much fun. If you decide to drill anyway, I'd use the smallest bit you have, you don't want gas splashing out the hole and going into the overflow tray.

Pic of California cap

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

When I first bought my 1200A, I read somewhere that the fuel tankis pressurized. So if you vent the cap, you might be adding trouble elsewhere.:?

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
imported post

my 1100I has alot of pressure on itwhen i removecap to refuel but everything runs good and i have no gas leaking anywhere, so i would tend to say that they are supposed to have some pressure on them

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

My 82 Asspy has been whooshing for the last 14 yrs. and have not had any problems with her running:coollep:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Bike, the vented gas cap has a one way valve in it and is designed to relieve a vacuum inside the tank not pressure. If the tank were allowed to build up vacuum, as thefuel was used up, at some point the pump would no longer be able to supply fuel to the carburetors due to vaccum in the tank. Pressure on the other hand will help the pump supply fuel. Sounds like the float valves are due for replacement.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
Sounds like the float valves are due for replacement.
That would be my thought too, except it's doing it with 2 different sets of carbs and started abruptly.

For 22 years I never turned off the gas and never had this problem. The only thing I can think is the cap is somehow allowing too much pressure to build up.

I know I should replace the valves, and the cap,but that's close to $200.A lot of money for me, and if it's like all the other fixes I've tried on these carbs...

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

My european 1500 has the vent tube on the petrol cap too and a very defininite vacuum which you hear at fill-up time.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

nico wrote:
My european 1500 has the vent tube on the petrol cap too and a very defininite vacuum which you hear at fill-up time.
Are you sure it's vacuum? Take afewtiny pieces of paper & place them in the gas overflow tray before yourelease the cap. If it is vacuum, then the tiny pieces of paper should stay in the tray. If it is pressure, they might not blow out of the tray, but should at least move away from the cap.:?

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

when i had my problem i just cut out a small section of the gasket...in desperation...seemed to do nothing but didnt hurt either....it was fuel delivery problem...rotten fuse...took 3 weeks and a bunch of tricks to figure that one out

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

I really wish we could determine if the tank should be pressurized. I can't see any reason for pressure in the tank on a carbed engine. EFI may be different. Don't have to contend with that, thank heavens.
Bobby

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

My FI LTD has a pressurized tank, or so I thought. I will have to check it again. It could be vacuum. Makes that SSSSS noise when you remove the cap. I will have to look into this, every motorcycle tank I've ever seen had a vent hose on it somewhere that vented it directly to the atmosphere, unles you had one of those californy models that vented it into a charcoal cannister.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

Jsalpha2 wrote:
Pic of California cap
That is a California cap? Mine looks like that on my 94 and it was bought by the original owner in NC.

The hose on mine is red and goes back down toward the gas tank. I haven't followed the hose to see exactly where it goes though. Anybody else have a cap like that on a 1500 that didn't come from California?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i drilled mine out it didnt make a diffrence on preformance or anything altho i smelled gas almost constantly when sitting at idle

i went down spent 20 some odd dollars on a new cap problem solved no gas smells now

so for around 20ish bucks just go buy a new cap sometimes being el-cheap-o isnt always a good thing

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
My FI LTD has a pressurized tank, or so I thought. I will have to check it again. It could be vacuum. Makes that SSSSS noise when you remove the cap. I will have to look into this, every motorcycle tank I've ever seen had a vent hose on it somewhere that vented it directly to the atmosphere, unles you had one of those californy models that vented it into a charcoal cannister.
Jerry, my old LTD used to make that noise also when removing the cap. When it was really hot outside the pressure would be fairly high. I could feel it blow on my hand sometimes when removing the gas cap. My current 1500 does make that sound also but doesn't seem to be as much as the LTD.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Mine also has a red tube coming off of the left side of the cap. I identified it as a vent tube only. I have a non-California 1995 SE.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
imported post

Huh I wonder if I have a California version too. I have the red, cloth/braided hose coming out the front side of fuel cap and going down to the left. Mine only seems to have noticeable pressure if it is hot and I am pretty low on fuel.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

From what I can see, all the 1500's have that cap, it's just a matter of what it attaches to. In this first diagram, the "California" model, the hose attaches to the evap cannister"

In this second diagram, everything but "California" model, it doesn't really attach anywhere. it just hangs down on the side of the tank:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.