Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Okay, I know that there is opinions between the E3s and Bridgestones for the GL1800. My dealer has both for flavors and at the same cost $465 installed.

I have ridden on either set, so I don't know. I do hear you guys talk about the Stones being quieter on the road, but is there a real difference?

Which would you pick? :?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Just my personal preference, but I like the Stones better. You can beat that price though.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Geezerglider, I just sent you a PM a couple of minutes ago about tires.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

:action:

I decided on the Stones! Don't know why, but there are definitely more complaints about the E3s and noise than the Stones, and those are the most popular brands as far as the GL1800 is concerned.

I'm ready to ride (but I have to wait until Saturday when I pick up the bike!)
:dude:

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
imported post

Phooie on stones. Been there, done that and have the t-shirt. The only tire I can say for sure that I will never have again.
Your results may vary.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

At least you opened this can of worms again. I have the Michelin Commanders and love them, however I don't know if they make them for the 1800. Check www.motorcycle-superstore.com they have the best prices I've found.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I have tried them all and the Stones are the way to go .. Dunflops are a disaster.. I have just gone to the darkside on the rear of my 1800 :)So I will let you know in a few weeks how that is going ..

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I like Dunlops. Had E2s on the Wing and just replaced some terrible Stones on the Vulcan with Dunlop 404s. Just my preference!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Stones on the 1800.

Currently running a run flat at the rear and a Stone on the front.

Great combo for me and no complaints.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Went through 3 sets of Dunflops.:( They all cupped real bad. :?(I'm a slow learner).:cheeky1: LOL! 4th set was the Stones. Best tire I ever rode on. Like riding on silk. Smooth as glass. No cupping.Could of got 10k out of em. 5th and current tires are another set of Stones. Not happy.:( Now have the 40 mph wobble. Below 35 mph or above 45 mph the tires are good, but no like the first set I had. And yes, I believe the wobble is due to one of the tires. Most likely is the front one. Yes, I have rebalanced the tires. ButI am going to wear these ones out and buy another set of Stones. Big Kahuna let us know how you like the Stones.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

I just replaced my rear Stone today at 10K. Would have gone futher, but had some cuts. A friend who triked his had an almost new tire (D250) and wheel, and I picked it up for $125.

Now that I have an extra wheel, I'm going to the dark side with it.

You can pick up rear wheel assemblys at a great price from shops who do trike conversions. I checked with Motor Trike this week, and they priced the complete rear assembly including the gear box for $250 .

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

A final update on the tires I selected:

I got the Stones installed and picked up my bike on Saturday. First thing that I noticed leaving the dealer was how the front tire grabbed the road when I pulled out on to the highway. It kind of surprised me, almost felt like I was being forced into the turn. On the ride home, I was please to hear how quiet they were, although my D250s had been quiet when the bike was new, they had gotten very load as they wore down.

The only thing that I noticed (and I'm not going to open that bag of worms) is the wobble at low speeds. 30-45 mph and the front end would probably shake itself to death if I didn't hold the handle bars. I wish I new what caused that.

I did get a high pitched whine from what I thought was the tires at around 70 mph, but I think that it was engine noise (I had the music off listening for tire noise). I know that sometimes when the wind is just right you hear things that you don't normally hear, but I'll investigate this farther.

So far so good! :action:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Hope you like the Stones. I think tire pressures are critical to safety, performance and tire life all respective to your riding style. If you wish, PM me for some further information regarding what I and others have learned.

Longboater.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.