Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there such a thing as a quiet motorcycle helmet? We have the helmet with the fold down shield but not saftey bar on the bottom. Easy helmet to use and wear but have some echoing in the helmet.. get plenty of wind noise and motor noise.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Is that your way of saying you wear a "3/4" helmet, and not full-face?

The 3/4 are much more noisy, and definitely a good candidate for earplugs depending on how you ride.

I wear only full-face, and within different manufacturers some of those are more noisy than others. My current Goldwing helmet is an HJC, and it just developed a wind leak on the RHS of the visor area. It's soon off to the trash can and I'll purchase something else.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I don't know to answer that.. it seem to give full coverage as far as that goes, we do wear ear plugs.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I like the 3/4 shield as well. I find that if I adjust my shield out one notch from totally closed, it's much quieter, less buffeting noise and it gives me more breathing room inside the helmet.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]This Nolan full face is a great helmet.....[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Granto, your wording just got me buffaloed. The part about no safety bar on the bottom.

Are you wearing something closer to this: (3/4 helmet)

Or are you wearing something closer to this: (full face)

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It is like the top helmet.. with an additional tinted pull down screen..

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I figure with a helmet you get what you pay for. In my book Shoei is #1. They cost a little more but they are comfortable and pretty quiet. Forget about mail order go to a dealership and fit the helmet you are going to wear. They can be adjusted by changing cheek pads. Helmets come in 5 shell sizes and cheek pads come in multible sizes also.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I've had several full face helmets... am currently using a Nolan N43 trilogy modular (well, maybe a better word is configurable) helmet. It's not overly quiet, but is light and comfortable. Link here: http://www.nolan-usa.com/product.php?productid=16147&cat=249&page=1What I really want to communicate here though, is that if you really want things quiet, personally, I was amazed at the difference it made switching to a tall Tulsa style windshield. I'm not fond of looking thru it at times (I really have to go out of my way to keep it highly polished and clean), but the increased protection and quietness is remarkeable - I really feel like I'm riding in a bubble behind it.

Attachments

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

We have the HJC IS-33 Jet Fighter helmets. The retractable sun shield behind the face shield is fantastic. As for quiet? We have bluetooth head sets, am/fm radio, cell phone, ham radio, GPS and Radar detector fed into the helmets. So much information overload some road noise is welcome.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,171 Posts
imported post

+1 on the tall Tulsa windscreen.

Makes a huge difference in the wind noise, or lack there of.

See my avatar.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

in my experience full face helmets are probably the loudest ones to weear this is due to air rushing up the helmet you almost always have to have ear plugs

now riding around town or something like that earplugs are not needed

but anything over 55mph for extended time you really wanna wear ear plugs anyway the sound of the wind on your ears is like having your head next to a 454chevy motor revved up, my 1/2 helmet isnt so bad but with the large windshield it helps block alot of the air and wind noise.

regardless of the helmet 1,000 dollar ones or 40 dollar ones you really need to get a 1 dollar pair of ear plugs and use them.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
regardless of the helmet 1,000 dollar ones or 40 dollar ones you really need to get a 1 dollar pair of ear plugs and use them.
Exactly..............

T.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Helment

I bought a scorpion 900 helment back in the summer a black cherry, it has the pump in it a extra large it is the quietest helment I have worn it fits very snug and has the air pump in it to make the helment more snug, you may want to check into one. Solaro

The Helment is a modular type.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,171 Posts
Bigdog39

I note that you are a vendor, and as such cannot blatantly advertise your products inside posts.

However, you worded it more as a reply to a request for information. At the moment, I am inclined to leave your post.

However, be advised that the rest of the moderator team will be weighing in on your post by the end of the day. Therefore, it might disappear.

You are welcome to become a regular contributor to the forum, however, the posts must stay away from advertising your company.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
another + for tall windshield. Plus I am 6'4". So the tall windsheild is a must in my book. I am comfortable with no helmet up to about 50ish. Over that the buffeting starts to get uncomfortable on my ears. Now, I usually wear a helmet, so no bashing please. Kansas does not have a helmet law, so its nice to "feel the breeze" once in awhile. And when I am wearing my 3/4, it is pretty quiet. Just need one of those sleeves that covers the mic sock so the wind doesnt come through it.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
The modulars are GREAT (compared to a standard full face) for those who wear glasses. You don't have to remove your glasses then force them back onto your head with the helmet on. Much more convenient, and easier on the glasses.
I'm wearing a Nolan 100e, an older helmet, not light weight, and not particularly quiet...but I still like it. For hot summer riding I prefer my Shoei 3/4 open face though. No buffeting behind the 'Wing's windshield regardless of type of helmet.

·
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ
2,631 Posts
I am not a vendor just trying to reply if you want to delete it won't bother me in the least.

He was talking to Bigdog39.

Bigdog39 only just joined and his one and only post was a blatant ad for his own product. It was justly deleted.

If you have found a good product that someone has inquired about, I'm sure it's fine to post that.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.