Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the front tire on a 2005 GL1800 trike. I'm considering a Bridgestone BT-45 rear that is the proper size. I see that this is a popular choice with the Darkside group. I'm interested in getting more mileage out of the tire. My question is, will the fact that this tire is not a radial have any negative effect? I've never seen a triked GL1500 run a radial on the front although the rear tires are radials, so what would be the harm or difference? Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You can run the bias up front without ill effects. Many 1800 riders are using the bias rears up front.
I ran the BT45 rear up front on my 1500 (not triked)but wasn't happy the way it handled or that it cupped badly starting at 7,000-8,000 miles. It went 17,500 miles but the cupping left me with a high speed wobble above 80 mph, yes hands on the bars. Tire pressure checked weekly and never more than 2-3 psi low, front or rear tires. Got better miles out of it compared to 10,000 miles out of the E3s I pulled off that were worn out and cupped badly front and rear. I might have gotten another 1,000 out of the front but was leaving on a planned 15,000-20,000 mile ride about.
Went to the Michelin pilot active rear this time and have over 11,000 on it now, very slight cupping showing where the BT45 was cupping bad at 10,000 miles. It may have been just a bad tire, I think we get stiffed on m/c tires with a lack of quality control in the industry. The tire manufacturer is more interested in the bottom line profit they make in the m/c tire industry.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Running bridgestone bt45 rear,12000 mile so far prob another 6000 left.Handles fine with no issues.......

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the rapid reply gentlemen. That was my feeling also, but I just wanted to get some factual input. I see where a lot of the Darkside wingers run this tire along with radial C/Ts on the rear. Must now make a noticeable difference. Thanks again and stay safe!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.