imported post

Anybody put non radials on their 1800 ?

:?Just asking ?

Specifically the front tire ?

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I don't really know about the 1800 but I do know it's not a good idea to mix radial and bias ply tires. Handling and road grip would be different on the front and rear tires. I was thinking about putting radials on my 1500 and was also told by a tire expert that the beads are slightly different and if you put a radial tire on a non radial rim, the bead will separate from the rim in the event of a flat whereas the bias ply is designed to hold on to the rim. I don't know if that works the same for bias ply on radial rim, but it may be something to investigate.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Double dark siding

Putting a bias ply back tire on the front of the wing spinning in a backwards direction

I think Dave0430 has mentioned something about this and maybe is running it.

Not sure. Would have to ask Dave0430

Search "double darksiding"

Post #48 will give you the answer you seek.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
Anybody put non radials on their 1800 ?

:?Just asking ?

Specifically the front tire ?
Yep, me and a whole bunch of 1800 riders. Rear tire for some small sport bike, 130/70 18, same as stock tire. Several choices, Michelin pilot activ (my favorite), Pirelli sport demon, Bridgestone battlax, and others I can't think of right now. Tried an E3 bias front tire and it was not a good choice, bad handling and worse wet road traction. A friend of mine tried some other bias front tire (don't remember what) and it was also a bad choice, made the bike very hard to turn. So I am led conclude a regular bias ply front tire is not going to work well but that may be something to do with the rear car tire.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

Bias/radial mixing is only an issue if they are on the same axle i. e. a car. If you have a radial rear and a bias front on a bike, it should not be an issue.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

Also, it is not the bead that is the issue, it is the mixing of radial/bias on the same axle as per 'pwhoever' said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.