Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anybody know if there is a radial motorcycle tire that fits the 1500 rear wheel? If so, anyone use one?

T.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Nothing wrong with mixing bias and radials on a motorcycle. You just shouldn't mix bias and radials on the same axle which isn't an issue on 2 wheeled motorcycles. As far as a M/T rear radial, Michelin had one but pulled it from the US market after law suits were filed. SHinko gave it a shot first with the 747 which failed and tried again with the 757 but pulled them as well.AFAIK, there are no other choices of M/T radials for the GL1500. The only other option is to go with a C/T and there is plenty of information available o those here.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

busdriver wrote:
Just don't mix front back with radial and bias.
Too late.............already have. When I blew my front tire out outside Salt Lake City, all the shop had was a radial and I had a long, long ways to go to get home.

Seeing, as I really like the front radial, I was hoping that a radial for the rear might be available.

Have nothing against a CT in particular, I just prefer a motorcycle tire.

Thanks all!

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Austone Taxi Tire

Use one. Love it. Won't go back to MT.

Go here to read about it:

Austone Tire for 1500 thread
Hey wpgfire!

Where did you obtain your Austone............nobody around this "Wet Coast" seems to know anything about them.

Not saying I'm going CT...........not saying I'm not............who knows a year from now?

T.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Austone is a car tire.

Dunlop E3's come in radial.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Austone is a car tire.

I thought radials were a NO NO on the 1500. :?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Austone is a car tire.

Hi Rudy!

Are you saying the E3 comes in 1500 size?

Not familiar with them, myself, as I have only had Michelin bias mine, other than the Bridgestone radial I now have on the front.

T.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

tnoort wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Austone is a car tire.

Hi Rudy!

Are you saying the E3 comes in 1500 size?

Not familiar with them, myself, as I have only had Michelin bias mine, other than the Bridgestone radial I now have on the front.

T.
Yes they are often installed as replacements by dealers who don't know the difference, don't have the bias ply in stock or don't care about the two types.
Also these come in different load capacities so watch that if you go with the E3.
Members who have had the radials installed, and discovered it later, have ridden those tires until worn out without incident.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for the info Rudy.

Have been on several tire sites and it appear to me that the Radial E3 is a bit wider than the bias for the 1500.

Anybody know of any clearance issues?

.............my tires aren't worn out - I am just preparing for their demise by the end of next year's riding season.

Thanks all?

T.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

E3s come in radial for the 1800 size, not the 1500. Find an 1800 with it on and measure the tire width(mounted) at widest point and compare to your tires mounted width, figure the difference and divide by 292 tire sides get half each, only concern is driveshaft side), giving you the extra to add to your tire's mounted width. With that you measure your tire's clearance to the swingarm at the driveshaft as that is the tightest point and then subtract the above divided difference to get your new clearance w/the bigger tire. It might fit.

edit;
Opps, might not mounted on an 1800 rim, I think it has a wider rim so the spread of the tire will be different on the 1500(less actually). Find a used radial E3 and mount it first to test or by a new one. :?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks newday777..............was just hoping to capitalize on someones else's experimenting.

T.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Well sometimes we just gotta be the Guinna pig our self! I haven't read any one trying one on the 1500 wheel, yet. Go for it, Getter done!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The 1500 doesn't have enough clearance especially on the drive shaft side for an E3 radial. I doubt any MT radial of decent height and load rating will fit on the rear of the 1500 due to the narrowness of the swingarm.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I have a used 1800 rear tire . I can tell you it is very much shorter then the 1500 rear tire . Its also much wider .

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Don't forget that the 1500's rear tire size is 160/80B-16 (80H)

The stock 1800's use a 180/60-16R (80H)

Dunlop also makes/sells a 180/70-16R (77H)E3, which some of the 1800 riders use to help correct the speedometer readings.

The rear radial E3s for the 1800s are bothwider and shorter, than the tire recommendations for the 1500, no matter which of the Radial versions of the E3 you get.

Don't forget, the CTs for the 1500s are radials!

The front E3 radial for the 1800s are the same size as the front for the 1500s - 130/17-18R (63H) vs 130/70-18 (63H)

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I found this Shinko SR733F as a viable replacement for the front tire. 6,000 miles and so far all is well. $75 shipped to my door. Motorcycle-Superstore

I am running a radial car tire on the rear. $87 shipped to my door. 17,000 miles on it.... by the tire gauge, I still have half a tire to use up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.