Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed Shinko radial tires (the only company that makes the stock size rear tire in radial design) and it is one of the best things I have ever done. It handles like a modern bike. It took two days to get used to the responsiveness but it absorbs expansion joint so much better and they are so quiet it is just wonderful.

Just wondering if anyone else is running them and any comments you may have.

·
Pwhoever
3,343 Posts
Be forewarned. Shinko twice before tried making radial tires for the GL1500 goldwings and failed miserably both times. Bubbles, tread splitting, etc... The previous versions were the 747 and then the Journey 757. Both had serious defects and were pulled from the market. This was all within the last couple years. Now its possible that this third try will be succesful but who knows. Keep us updated on the tires as you put more miles on them.

Edit: It looks like Continental is again making radial tires for the GL1500 as well. They are the Conti-Motion Sport Touring Radials. I see Chromeworld.com is selling them...

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Be forewarned. Shinko twice before tried making radial tires for the GL1500 goldwings and failed miserably both times. Bubbles, tread splitting, etc... The previous versions were the 747 and then the Journey 757. Both had serious defects and were pulled from the market. This was all within the last couple years. Now its possible that this third try will be successful but who knows. Keep us updated on the tires as you put more miles on them.
As with any tire, properly checking of your tires regularly, weekly at minimum, with a full look see rotation and air check, is of utmost necessity.

Edit: It looks like Continental is again making radial tires for the GL1500 as well. They are the Conti-Motion Sport Touring Radials. I see Chromeworld.com is selling them...
So has Chaparral Motorsports and I have found they usually have the best prices, most of the time
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Pro...-sport-touring-radial-rear-tire/329-0144.aspx
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Pro...sport-touring-radial-front-tire/329-0140.aspx

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I had the Shinko Tour Masters on my Venture they did really good as for being quiet and gripping the road but they stunk as for tire wear! with two sets I was only able to get 8,000mi on the rear tire. front tire 14-15,000mi. if I was lucky
now I'm on E3's getting close to 20,000mi on the rear & front tire but dang these things are loud
Other than tear wear the Shinko Tour Master hands down is the better for handling and quiet ride

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Tires

Would it be a good idea for Honda to make a run flat tire, in case of a major tire malfunction? I know it will affect fuel mileage, but the safety factor would probably make it worth it. ATire malfunctions are a Wingers/Bikers worst nightmare. Mounting it would probably ne a PITA. Just a thought.
David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.