Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi. I am about to replace the tyres on my 1991 GL1500 and in a recent conversation, someone mentioned having had Radial Tyres had led to much better driving characteristics on his 1500.

Anyone got any feedback on Radials & who makes radial tyres suitable for the 1500 ?

Dick Ellwood

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Thats makes us dumb and dumber ,,:stumped::stumped::stumped:because I always thought the tyres were all radials now days ,,there use to be crossply years ago ,but I think it is ALL radials now ..:baffled:Cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I have made further research and apparently No not all motorcycle tyres are radials. WIth the exception of Michelen, all tyres on the market for the 1500 are bias belted tyres, basically a biefed up cross ply. We all live & learn:)

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

dellwood33 wrote:
I have made further research and apparently No not all motorcycle tyres are radials. WIth the exception of Michelen, all tyres on the market for the 1500 are bias belted tyres, basically a biefed up cross ply. We all live & learn:)
Interesting info Dick. I wonder if they are crossply because of the weight. I know crossply tyres for cars (before they were done away with) were capable of carrying lots of weight. They were not suited to modern cars (late 50s on) as cars were getting lighter and crossplys had them hopping all over the place. Radials are more suited for modern lighter cars.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Spot on Joe. Thats why you shouldn't mix crossply & radials on the same vehicle, the diferences in handling and grip make it dangerous.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The only Radials for the Gold Wing that Ican trace are the Michelins. Hi-Tour X79 is about £139 for a front & £145 for a rear. Not the cheapest tyre :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.