Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Not certain how many still ride when the temps get down into the 20'sand lower, but I cover my radiator so the engine will build heat. When it gets below freezing, the old machine knows it.

I start-out covering 2/3 or thereabouts of the opening. I'll eventually closer it all off as the days go by. It was 19°F the other night. I rode into the garage at 10:30pm and it was 27°F.

Yep, time for the blanky. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Good Idea! Do you have pictures of how you mount your blanket? What material do you use?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

In the olden days when pickup truck heaters were not that great, here in the frozen north we would cover radiators with cardboard or sheatmetal. The rule of thumb was to always leave asizable openingin the middle. This was only done when the temps were below 0 Fahrenheit.

The guys that covered them completely would usually suffer from boil over.

My hat is off to you for riding in those temps.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well, I use two radiator grills. Bottomhas steel slats andthe topis wire mesh. Between the two is a section of rubber door mat material, H-slitthrough the center and folded back to open the center-third of the radiator. The sides are sealed for airflow. It's effective. I close the opening as it gets colder.

Bottom chrome grill w/outblanketcover:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have 2 mesh grills for my bike, Great idea!

I thought I would miss riding my bike when the cold got here, but I have taken it out the past couple of nights of 30ish temps and I love it, not much different than 100 degree riding, except I can keep my coat on and I don't mind the heat from the heads now trying to burn my toes..

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Don't mind the dirt and rust. It's actually somewhat clean... :smiler:

Some wire-ties to secure it,leaving the center open and adjustable. I can fold the sides inward to expose the ends with the center fully closed. Different ways it can work.

I like this set-up because it's strong. Protects my radiator really well. A lot of crap gets on the roads out here in winter. Deer season is right around the corner. I'm good for a deer, I think. Shouldn't get through that. That's a pretty strong set-up.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

...and it all fits behind my dipstick. :cool:‹‹‹ Ohhh, yee-ah. :smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Ooohhhh! I have an extra grill hanging on the wall! I thought I was going to have to put the little bike away for the winter.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

...carpet-side out. ;)

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Now, asin the pics above, my temp needle reads no higher than 1st1/3-range after 1½ hours city/highway riding. I need to close it up some more, but...

..it'll be 60°F by Saturday. :smiler:

It'll be alright. :coollep:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

On the logging trucks my family drives they have a canvas cover that goes over the radiator grills. The center part zips up and down and the the flap is help back with velcro. A smaller version of that would work great on your wing. Unfortunately it is not as easy to get to the radiators on the 1800.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Neither my 1500 or my Silverwing ever seemed to need any blocking of the radiator in temps down to 25F. Even in Kotzebue we never covered the radiator of my '69 F250 FWD in temps below -40F or any of the FAA vehicles either for that matter. With a properly operating thermostat those vehicle's engines never seemed to have a problem warming up to operating temps.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

With a properly operating thermostat, I fail to see the need for a radiator restricter.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
imported post

I haven't tried the cover on the front of the radiator as said earlier, the 1500 does warm up to typical temp. I did buy the covers form V&P that go over the raditor exhaust vents. These will slow the air flow thru the radiator and will direct more/all the hot air out thru the lower heat vents. Unfortunately, when you get down to 20 degrees, there is so little coolant flow thru the radiator that it's not quite as toasty as I'd like. I like the big touring windshield to help keep the wind off but it will fog/frost up on the cold mornings and unlike the Tulsa, I have to stand to see over it. Tunnel fillers are on sale at Cyclemax and I may give them a try.

I enjoy riding in the colder temps. Still warmer than a snowmobile doing 100mph across a lake. I will stop when DOT starts using sand and salt. Power drifting on a Goldwing is not on my to do list.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I hear 'ya, Andy. Studdin' tires is pushing it. :smiler:

I run a single carburetor. My manifold is heated via coolant. It's a balancing act as I see it. I need the bike up to normal operating temperature, and for it to stay there, asthat is where my tune is set. Riding in low temperatures requires me to do certain things, and blanketing the radiator is one of them. Using my lowers for my fairing is another.Those two changeswork well together. I also need to fully enclose the area beneath my tank shelterthat the lowers leave exposed. The heat pulled from the radiatoris blown through and past my manifold/carb set-up and is utilized as well. I have plastic covers that I've made to close this area off. I need to make them out of sheet-metal as the plastic is too brittle below freezing for my liking.

I don't mind the cold as long as my bike doesn't mind it.

I've put a pretty good study on the M1 (the prototype 6-cylinder). I'm convinced that the same technique of using wasted radiator heat to heat the intake on that bike is utilized. The M1 has a massive intake manifold. Much more surface area than mine. The radiator heat is tunneled through the bottom of that manifold, via the fan at idle. Others may disagree.

I also have (well, still in the processes of making) exhaust heater boxes that will plumb warm air to my factory filter housing on warm-up. It's thermostatically controlled, so "warm-up" is a misnomer. Thank You Volkswagen for the idea.. :)

James, my thermostat/cooling system is allnew, so-to-speak. I've been fighting the cold issue for the last couple years and finally decided to resolve it completely. I put a Dyna S on the bike to help it along. I'll be changing-out the coils next. I want Fire-Breathing Dragons igniting that A/F mixture @ -10°F without any hiccups what-so-ever.

Gotta give love to a old 1000 in some extreme cold..

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

cardboard cut a diamon in the center where the fan is cover the rest heck if its that cold you can probably cover the whole radiator

semi trucks are a better source

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I have rode all of my wings down into the teens, have never had a need to cover the radiator. Also, since the airflow is reversed on the 1800 at low speeds, it probably would not be a good idea to try blocking those off, and besides it would affect the computer too much, and cause the system to act up and possibly overheat. A properly operating cooling system will work just fine a lot colder than most of us would be willing to ride, even on the 4 cylinder wings.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I have at various times put a couple lengths of duct tape over the front to block a portion of the air. I also run the vent covers and those also slow the air through the radiator a little due to the restriction. Last winter we were under 10* for most of the work week (low temp-- hit a blazing 30* during the afternoon). I had tape on it for that week, though not sure how much good it did. 30 minute ride to work read low/normal.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Well Gene, I don't know what to say other than I ride a single-carb 1000. :smiler:Though I've ridden a 1800, it was not in this climate.

I can say that in my service manual it states on page 8-5, under Cooling System Troubleshooting, that if my engine temperature is too low that 4 points of interest are possible and need to be loked at:

1.- Defective Temperature Gauge ... - This is not the case because my thermal imager tells me so.

2.- Defective Temperature Gauge Sensor ... - This is not the case because I've tested it good.

3.- Thermostat Stuck Open ... - This is not the case because it is new and flow verified.

4.- Low Ambient Temperature ... - This is the case because my blanket/cover/rug/whatever corrects the problem.

Certainly not discounting your experience on maintaining a rideable bike in the temps I have/will have, but it is what it is. Riding in temperatures below freezing, be it 0°C or 32°F, ...there are a whole set of problems that I need to deal with to maintain a reliable ride.

I do feel fortunate though, because there is enough ambient heat from the cylinder head componentsto keep that cheap plastic-cased DYNA S from cracking under thepoints cover that I've insulated and water-proofed.

I'm trying to ride. Most all others have put their bikes up for the winter around here. I saw two others out today, and heard three or so others. But hey, I only put 85 miles in today, around town, so I may have missed some.

:waving:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.