Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello All

Presently I'm chasing a possible leaking head gasket on my 1984 GW 1200 Aspencade. Prior to taking the head off I decided to try the cheap options like a new thermostat and a new radiator cap. Getting stuff for my GL 1200 here in Denmark is not easy as they were never sold from new here. So today I finally got my stuff to try out but apparently they have sent me the wrong radiator cap.

Here is a picture of the new and old together and it is easily seen that the one on my GW(The one to the left in the picture) is much bigger than the one they send me - Any ideas what I got and how do I make sure that I get the right cap for my 1984 GL 1200?

Thanks in advance and greetings from Denmark, Europe

Karsten

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

That new one does not look like it will fit. All you can do if verify the part number. If the part numbers match I wonder if someone didn't swap out the 1200 radiator for an 1100 or even a 1000. I think the 1100 or 1000 used a different radiator. It would probably fit but had a larger cap.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hello again.

After searching a little via Goggle, it seems like there is 2 different radiator caps for the GL 1200. The one I got is this one: http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product666.html

According to Saber Cycle this one will NOT fit a 1984 Aspencade - They are stating that the 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade uses the same cap as the GL 1000/1100, can someone confirm this?

Link to the cap I'm supposed to get: http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product655.html

Regards
Karsten

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

After a forum search I found that the same number "STANT" cap is listed for the 1100 and 1200. I believe the number is 10227. Another long time 1200 owner,(200+ thousand miles) claims that all 1200's and 1500's use the same rad cap. Good Luck.:gunhead:

·
751 Posts
imported post

Shooter wrote:
After a forum search I found that the same number "STANT" cap is listed for the 1100 and 1200. I believe the number is 10227. Another long time 1200 owner,(200+ thousand miles) claims that all 1200's and 1500's use the same rad cap. Good Luck.:gunhead:
If it is true then this part # from napa will work for you as it did on my 1500 & It is a 16 lbs cap instead of a 13 part #703-1406 It cost me like $8.00 us+ so I would go to your local auto parts store & give them this # for Napa & Stant is #11233 found here on here in the goldwing tips on the right on the home page

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all the good suggestions but we do not have Auto zone in Denmark - Also, the cap I got is the one for the 1500 and that does NOT fit my 1984 1200. It seems like the 84 is using the same cap as the 1000/1100, can anyone confirm this?

OEM part number should be 19045-692-003 as seen here: http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product655.html

If that is indeed the correct cap for my 1200 Aspencade, it should be no problem getting it here locally in Denmark as it is a commonly used cap on many different Honda cars and MC's here.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

There are 2 caps that fit the 84 GL1200, one is larger than the listed part in most parts fische. I ran into the same problem when I ordered a replacement cap. I finally took the origina cap to a local autoparts dealer and he was able to provide a new Stant cap that worked perfectly.

Bob

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

Aspengold is correct.
The earlier 84's had the larger neck in the radiator because Honda had a bunch of radiators to use up from the 83 run?
You might be able to find what month your bike was made from the serial number.

Some numbers Not sure which are large and which are small.
Napa #703-1443 or Napa #703-2445
NAPA #31333 may be the small one?
Stant 11227 or 10227 maybe Stant 11229
Cross lookup to mid 80's Honda Civic
Not to much help I know. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

I understand that this is an "older" thread, but I can confirm that the Stant 11229 is the current number for the "early" '84 large neck radiator Wing. The only place in town I could find one is at PEP Boys... O'Reilly auto parts Does not seem to carry Stant any more, and ALL Autozone's in Tucson, seem to be "currently" "out of stock". Cap is stamped 13psi but is rated for 12-16psi applications. With the 10% veterans discount the cap came out to a total of $4.90 US.

"The" Honda shop in Tucson shows both the small and large neck caps on the 'fiche, but then states that the large neck one has been "superseded" by the smaller one instead of showing that the radiator was replaced/superseded by the small neck one.

Maybe we can get the p/n difference listed in the part numbers area?

Ken
(Still licking the old coolant off the fingers). :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

Kendas wrote:
I understand that this is an "older" thread, but I can confirm that the Stant 11229 is the current number for the "early" '84 large neck radiator Wing. Cap is stamped 13psi but is rated for 12-16psi applications.

Maybe we can get the p/n difference listed in the part numbers area?
Geez Kendas, wish I would have caught your thread before I ordered my last cap (Stant 10227). :?If anyone needs this cap, pay the postage plus a little to cover the Paypal fee and it's yours, brand new in the box.

I've just ordered the 11229 from Rock Auto. Hopefully that will take care of my mystery leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.