Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,:stumped:

I own a 1983 Aspencade, over the weekend I drained the radiator and refilled with fresh coolant but couldn't get the radiator cap on properly. No room for my hand to fit. What do I need to remove in order to access the radiator cap.

Thanks for the help,

Gene

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Wingin It Gene :waving: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net.:clapper:Some of the Forum experts will shortly help you out with your problem. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have found that the placement of the radiator caps must be some sort of revenge by the Honda engineers. Both my '78 and '86 are VERY difficult to replace, and I don't even have large hands

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Hi Gene

On my 82 (pretty similar I believe) I had to pull off the bottom faring to get at the cap.
Sounds scary, but in fact was a 1.2 minute job. Three screws on the top, and 2 at the bottom. Take note where the rubber strips between the two faring halfs go before they fall on the ground, and thats that.

Good luck, its a breeze to get off, really it is!

Ben.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Hi Gene and welcome. Lots of folk have problems putting the cap back on as there just isn't space to get a hand in. I've successfully got the cap on with a couple of fingers by wearing a glove. The glove seems to give you a bit of extra strength. If that doesn't work you might need to unbolt the rad and let it drop a bit (hoses still attached) and you will have plenty of space then. :waving:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Wingin It Gene :leprechaun: Now how is that for service. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Everyone thanks for all your great suggestions, Without removing the bottom faring I managed to squeeze my hand into that tight spot, using a rag to grip and tighten the cap. So far no more antifreeze squirting out.

This is a Great Site
Gene M

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey Wingin it Gene , which Winnetka is that, Ill?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hi there,

That would be Winnetka, CA. in Los Angeles County.

Happy riding

Gene

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Well done Gene and welcome to the forum.:waving:There are plenty of wise old (and not so old)Goldwing heads here that know plenty of solutions.The rag trick on the radiator cap always works for me, but next time I might try Bens glove method. Probably less chance of getting a bit caught under the cap.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Wingin It Gene wrote:
Everyone thanks for all your great suggestions. This is a Great Site
Hey Wingin It Gene :weightlifter:Job well done. :clapper: This is the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

That glove trick sound good, never thought of that before!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
That glove trick sound good, never thought of that before!
Hey englishted :coollep:"Gurus" aresupposed to know everything. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.