Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1982 GL1100 Interstate & the fan does not run on it when it gets hot. I have jumped it to the battery direct & the fan does run. My question is, Is it better to go ahead & replace the thermo switch & sending unit or just wire the fan to a toggle switch? If I run it from a toggle switch what is the best way to wire it.

Thanks for any info. I'm pretty new to working on my own bike so if possible keep it simple!!!!!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Buy a new switch, at least it will come on when it's supposed to. You could wire a switch in as well, for those hot days in traffic, but I wouldn't ride without knowing a working fan switch was there.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Next question. Do you need to drain the fluid to get the switch out? Sorry for so many questions but I don't have a book yet.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Another qusetion. Would I have to replace the sending unit also or should the switch take care of the problem?

Thanks

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The sending unit is a seperate switch, further back than the fan one. You really need to pull the rad forward to get at the switch, can't see a way around draining the coolant.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Just a follow up note. I called a couple of Honda dealers & they price the switch from $87.00 to $125.00. I found a new one on line at Sabers Cycles for $45.00 plus S&H. Thats one heck of a profit margin Honda is after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.