Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone tell me how to hook up a toggle switch to bypass thermo switch?

I have a idea how to do it but want to make sure before I try it.:action:I hear so

many others taking about having it hooked up that way. This is for a 83 Gl1100I.

Thanks Dan

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,955 Posts
imported post

The stock switch merely grounds the circuit. I had a friend wire mine 'cause I don't do well with electricity. I think all he did was add a switchable ground wire.

I have to ask why you think you need it in your climate. If you're overheating, I'd say there is something wrongwith your cooling system or motor. Fix that first.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I do have one on my bike, installed for piece of mind and while standing in traffic for any length of time, it does keep the temperature at a constant temp rather than allowing it to cycle up to 210 deg and back down to 195 deg
Mine stays at about 200 deg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

So that would mean radiator flush,and check thermostat.Like
what might be wrong with motor?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

I did it really easy. I mounted a switch, ran 2 wires down to where the plug fits onto the thermoswitch, right below the fan. pulled off the connector for the thermoswitch. put a bullett connector on each of the wires from the switch i wired, plugged them into the plug - on fitting for the thermoswitch, wrapped it all in electrical tape, and all done.

barry

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If your fan is cycling on and off it is fine, if it stays on then you have a problem

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,955 Posts
imported post

DanGl1100 wrote:
Bad head gasket can cause overheating.

But like Tricky said. If your system is cycling, it's probably OK.

In your climate I wouldn't think that would happen very often.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Bschofield wrote:
I did it really easy. I mounted a switch, ran 2 wires down to where the plug fits onto the thermoswitch, right below the fan. pulled off the connector for the thermoswitch. put a bullett connector on each of the wires from the switch i wired, plugged them into the plug - on fitting for the thermoswitch, wrapped it all in electrical tape, and all done.

barry
I did the same with no problems. I may replace the switch one day if I get reallly bored. The only time I ever need to hit the switch is when driving in town on a hot day.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

bad idea, just my 2c.... replace the thermo switch if need be, but don't trust your investment to whether or not you remember to flip the switch... I have only replaced one thermo switch in 31 years

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
bad idea, just my 2c.... replace the thermo switch if need be, but don't trust your investment to whether or not you remember to flip the switch... I have only replaced one thermo switch in 31 years
Actually I agree with you. mine was a stop-gap fix, as i am not finding the replacement at a price i feel is resonable. and the part numbers from the geo i'm not finding either.. so until i find me a good one, this is just my fix.

Barry

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

I have done this also on my 81 Interstate. It is only temporary as I will replace the thermoswitch when I can.

But, regardless of climate, getting stuck in traffic on a warm day will cause problems if your fan is not coming on. Trust me, been there, done that. NOT fun.

:shock:

Works great now and much safer for the investment having the ability to switch on and off when needed.

:action:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,955 Posts
imported post

People around here put the switch in, not to replace the thermal switch, but to override it.Starting the fan early keepsthe bike cooler overall.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
People around here put the switch in, not to replace the thermal switch, but to override it.Starting the fan early keepsthe bike cooler overall.
Thiis is a great point. When I replace mine I will have the overide too!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

It sounds like a good idea, but when the weather is hot and I am riding in town my fan stays on 99% the time anyway, when would you switch it on manually to keep the heat down?, as you are coming off the highway into the city limits? I can't see it making that much difference, but I have not tried it so it is just my thought.

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Well, one reason to keep the overide is for a backup if the regular thermal swithch were to fail. Afterall, the maual swithces are being installed because the thermals failed. As far as the geo and other switches, I'm not sure I fully understand at what temp. they kick in as opposed to the stock honda replacement part. As mentioned earlier, having the mauual swithch only is probably not a good ideal. I just happen to be an anal gauage watcher! But if you were to forget to switch it on in town, your engine will overheat... not good:crying:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Well I sure would not mind having a backup for the thermal switch, and if it really helps with cooling I would welcome that too. I just don't think when the weather is really hot, the engine temp at highway speeds is all that much higher than the temp when the thermal switch kicks the fan on, I see my temp gauge at highway speeds in hot weather then when I stop at the first red light the gauge only moves up a little and the fan comes on. I am not sure what either of those temps might be with the Interstate gauges but it does not move very far. When the weather is cooler there is a lot more difference the gauge has to move quite a ways before the fan comes on.jmo

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

i guess my bike must be running good, because i have been watching my gauges like a hawk, i flip on the fan at half way.. and even at 2pm with 115 degrees, i haven't gone above 3/4. on most days i don't even flip it on until it's over 100 outside or im in the city

Barry

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
DanGl1100 wrote:

Dennis,even though he is in Maryland it still gets well into the 90's in the summer. He may be up nawth and out east for youbut it is still summer there too.:cheeky1:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,955 Posts
imported post

gotta love the wing wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
DanGl1100 wrote:

Dennis,even though he is in Maryland it still gets well into the 90's in the summer. He may be up nawth and out east for youbut it is still summer there too.:cheeky1:
Oh I see...the temperature drops into the 90s sometimes here too...on a cool night!

OK, let me explain guys. In town, hot or cold weather, the GL12 can sometimes warm up enough to have the fan come on. On my bike the guage gets nearly to the red before that happens.

I put the override switch in so I could start the fan early and leave it on a little longer. Just to keep the bike a little cooler than it can keep itself on those extra warm days we enjoy here in the desert southwest.

The fan very, very rarely comes on while out on the road and I have a light installed in the dash to remind me the fan is running, so I don't leave it on all day and burn it out.

During the cooler months here, or when I'm in a cooler climate, The bikes temp needle doesn't move much above the blue because I have the "Civic" 180 degree thermostat installed. In a cooler climate I wouldn't haveany need forthe mods.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.