Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi forum.Notice recently when I idle my bike(gl1500), have noticied appearent rad vapour (steam) riding up through the handle bar area. I took off both side farings and reidle the bike. The cooling system seems to be fine. It takes about 10-15minutes at idle for the temp to reach 75% hot and then both fans cut in. Fan stay on for about 1-2 minutes then cut out, temp drops and I have to wait another 10 minutes or so for the fans to cut in again. Once bike is cool, Iremoved the rad cap and no apparent fluid lost was noted, however the radiator reserve last quite low. I refilled the reserve, repeated the process and again noticed no appeared problem but a lower reserve. I am having trouble determining were the obvious rad steam is coming from. How do you get at the reserve bottle to be able to run the bike at the same time? I want to see if just the reserve lines are first damages before I continue.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hey there from the Ottawa Valley GAK, if you take the center cover ( key) and the black covers off on each side of the console under the handle bars you should be able to see the reserve tank, it might be a clamp that is a little loose & with the cooler weather is lettting the steam leak. Good luck. :waving:

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome to the Steve Saunders forum family .I am in the beginng stages of my 1500 education. Seeing your located in the north I would suggest you check over all the hose conections for cold weather leaks . We even get those down here in Florida . When the temps drop leaks occur because the hose will shrink and the clamps are not so tight anylonger.

If you go to the "Reference and FAQ " forum here you can download a copy of the service manual to help in looking at how it all fits together . The resivior tank has a hose going to the fill neck ( radiator cap ) . From the cap it goes down to the radiator.Both radiators are also connected by a small hose on the top side , center .

I expect you will have more replies from the more knowledgeable soon . I hope your able to find this and solve .

May your winter be short and highways clear of ice/snow.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I found that most of the rad steam comes from the right hand side. I fill the reserve and check the rad capfor leaks again. None present. I did retighten all possible rad hoses I could reach. I idled the bike a long time.The fans did as ithey weresupposed to. I did not find any leaked coolent on my garage floor. My bike is a 1989 model with all original parts. Anyone in the forum with an older bike experience something similar? Could it simple be that the older hoses shrink in the cold climate and that once warmed they seal again?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

My 88's symptoms are not apparent as yours, but I planned on checking all the connections if I have time this weekend. It is bound to be a loose clamp.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

Don't know if this'll help but I found a leak coming from the rubber boot on the top of the reserve tank.... where the overflow hose fits into the top. I replaced the rubber boot and the hose.... it fixed my problem. From what I can tell this seems to be a fairly common problem.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I would suspect a small pin hole in the actual radiator. As it warms up it expands enough to allow it to leak a bit or some of the liquid to turn to steam and escape. Then as it cools it simply contracts and seals.

Kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.