Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
381 - 387 of 387 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I would like to congratulate you again on your work.

That is a big job for someone that has no real wrenching experience. Although an eager beaver at times, you were able to see and understand the benefit of others experience and knowledge. That can be a feat alone with some people.

There is no greater feeling than to accomplish fist time work like this. I and others can see and feel the excitement and pride you have in completing this. It's a feeling that money just can't buy.

You still have a few things to do... and don't forget, a lot of people say to re-torque the heads in about 500 miles or so.

Keep an eye on everything, you will have some adjustments to make here and there I am sure.

Any new issues I would recommend to open in a new thread if you are done here.

:claps:

Tim

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
PHP:
I would like to congratulate you again on your work.

That is a big job for someone that has no real wrenching experience. Although an eager beaver at times, you were able to see and understand the benefit of others experience and knowledge. That can be a feat alone with some people.

There is no greater feeling than to accomplish fist time work like this. I and others can see and feel the excitement and pride you have in completing this. It's a feeling that money just can't buy.

You still have a few things to do... and don't forget, a lot of people say to re-torque the heads in about 500 miles or so.

Keep an eye on everything, you will have some adjustments to make here and there I am sure.

Any new issues I would recommend to open in a new thread if you are done here.

:claps:

Tim
thanks tim!! it was definitely overwhelming at first due to my lack of experience, also contributing to my eagerness haha. but this wouldnt have been possible without you and all the other wonderful people here on the forums. ill be sure to keep an eye on things and adjust accordingly. I definitely have some things to do before my wing is roadworthy, so be sure to catch me in my other threads!! till then!:smile2:

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Did you replace the engine/trans oil after all this work on the cylinders?
Always wise after a blown head gasket situation
This is a good time to try John and many others preferred oil: Chevron made DELO 15-40 DIESEL Oil- Low Emission.
The small circle at bottom right of label will be empty of any info- just a printed circles outline.
Its 10 bucks for a whole GALLON at Wallys, they even have a decent filter or two there, see list on this forum.

You set the tire pressure both at 40 and now it handles great?!

While unlikely to cause damage by leaving the shift seal alone for now, Im concerned over the actual repair~ based on your past month of events.
Scratches in metal where rubber seals fit into are bad news. I read about a `bolt` method on here recently.

Like the other parts you just worked on, keep an eye on it till fixed, then for a while to make sure the new part doesn't have an issue~.
Even new parts and repairs can fail!

It will not dump 4 qts out that seal without your knowledge..there will be drips, and smoke when drips hit the exhaust

Fans usually kick on about 3/4 on a gauge. If those work and drop the needle a little- you are good.
Temp should increase at stoplights and fans to operate. 2000 rpm will make the small water pump move some coolant thru the engine--
and thru the radiator to be cooled when stopped.
On the road the temp should stay steady.

Gurus of the 80s- is that Fan On/thermostat open about 180 and goes off at 160? Im guessing on temps

Note IF the rad is too low on coolant it cant suck any over. Top the rad off and set res bottle level- When you next ck the rad it will be down slightly- but the opening for transfer hose will be covered when cap is installed. That level should be the same when you ck it occasionally.
Despite the book saying to ck res level only- Because I experienced the following situation I ck the rad now too!
That hose with grommet into res bottle gets a leak where it has to bend and is under strain. When it breaks the fluid transfer BACK to rad stops,
So rad is still pushing some out at shutdown and cannot recover it...while res indicates full or fuller~
My rad was down 2 inches when prob found- and it never indicated running hot!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
thanks tom, yes i replaced the oil with penz. aslo got. a new oil filter. illl look up many methods to extract rubber seals without scratching, bolt method sounds good worst case scenario. everything you describe seems to be what im experiencing, steady temp on road, slight increase at stoplight, and fan kicks in and cools. im pretty solid! thanks for the rad info though, i ll be checking by rad level in a few days then along with res tank.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
soon we will see pics of this machine on some scenic byway~

dont look up a bunch of ways to get that seal out- you only care about doing it on your year Wing
Those instructions are probably in our DIY, or some thread on the subject- Try the search on here, or look at www.goldwingdocs.com

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
hahahaha alight, ill study it for a good bit before i start to remove it. and i want to upload pics soon, i just want to fix a few cosmetic aspects before i do. keep yall posted.

381 - 387 of 387 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.