Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 85 is running a ittle hotter than I would like. 2 bars past the midpoint (6 bars total) Used to run right at the midpoint (4 bars)then had the carbs synced and it ran 2 bars hotter. Took it back and they checked her out but can't find anything wrong. I am thinking about flushing the radiator and then using a water wetter to see if I can brig the temp down a little. Can I use regular radiator flush for cars on my bike? Any recommedations or warnings?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

hockeydad, I had an overheating problem in my 79 and thought it was the water pump. after buying a good used pump, i pulled all the stuff and found a new pump in there. i got the rad flushed professionally (out of bike) and the gauge has not gone above halfway in 85F humid weather in traffic. it was the radiator after all. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

certainly gunk built up in the radiator might cause this, as well as a thermostat that is not opening properly. I am not sure what "water wetter" is, but I always use a 50/50 mix of DISTILLED water and coolant, also I change the coolant regularly as it does break down with age. If someone has added tap water to your system it will build up scale in the system.

As for radiator flush products... just remember they are VERY harsh and you will want to make sure you get it all out of the system.

now... if you really want to start a debate... just ask about WHICH colalants to use LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replies don't want to start a bruhahaon the type of coolant. Water wetter is an additive that helps water transfer heat better.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Be very careful about the radiator flush you use. Make certain that it is compatible with soldered rads and aluminum engines.

Some of the harsher flushes can actuallydecompose solder and corrode aluminum.

Check with your retailer and read the can or bottle carefully.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

"Water wetter" is more correctly called a surfactant. It basically reduces surface tension so the water can make a more intimate connection to the metal surfaces. Many diesel engines that use steel sleeves for cylinders require a surfactant to prevent bubbles from the vibration of the cylinder walls from insulating the surface of the sleeve reducing the heat transfer. I doubt one would hurt a Goldwing, most of them are basically a detergent of one type or another, but you'd just be masking a problem since the bike has gotten along for nearly twenty years without any additives. As Vic said you do need to be careful with radiator flushes.

It's possible that scaling is developing in your radiator. Since it isn't all that hard to pull the radiator it might be a good idea to look into it. If it's scaled take it to a radiator shop for a real cleaning. Or with the radiator off the bike you can use any flush designed for a brass or steel soldered radiator without worrying about the aluminum.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
certainly gunk built up in the radiator might cause this, as well as a thermostat that is not opening properly. I am not sure what "water wetter" is, but I always use a 50/50 mix of DISTILLED water and coolant, also I change the coolant regularly as it does break down with age. If someone has added tap water to your system it will build up scale in the system.

As for radiator flush products... just remember they are VERY harsh and you will want to make sure you get it all out of the system.

now... if you really want to start a debate... just ask about WHICH colalants to use LOL
:whip:Hey, what's that cardboard doing under your bike, Goldwings don't leak! :whip:

I suppose you just changed oil.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey, congratulations Vic, on being the third member to hit a four digit posting total!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

exavid.... I know gold wings are not supposed to leak... but.... replacing the tansmission cover gaskets and O-rings is on my to-do list

go figure... my harley does NOT leak

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Well in the future please remove the cardboard before taking the picture, and to keep the Harley mystique intact spill a little oil under it.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

you know we used to takes some oil and go around at rallies and put it under the gold wings just to drive them crazy:goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Almost as funny as spilling a little oil under a bike and dropping a washer and nut in the puddle.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

but don't the Harley guys just shrug and try to reattach it?:cool:

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Hey, great forum... seems every question I've come up with is covered here! I've just bought alittle "project" ... 82 gl1100I that has been a little mistreated. As this is my first 'wing, I'm in need of some advice.

1) I pulled the lower radiator hose mount off, only to find a water pump impeller that is REALLY wobbly. Is this normal, or should I begin shopping? (It does spin when the engine is turned over)

2) The fan didn't seem to be working at any temp, so I ran a hot lead and ground, to no avail. Question is, new, used, universal electric auto fan?

3) I was going to ask about the coolant, but I'll just do a search...;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet TrackT2411!:waving::waving:

Coolant first, most any antifreeze that's silicate free. I use Prestone Extended Life, according to their website it doesn't have silicates which eat the water pump.

If the impeller is wobbly, it's going to need replacement, once it's internal seals (not replaceable) go the water and oil like to get together and make fudge. They cost in the neighborhood of $100.

If the fan motor is fried I'd look at eBay. If you could fit a universal that fitsit would probably work okay if it didn't use too much current.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

:waving:Thanks... I'm waiting for a repair manual before tackling the long list of repairs... At least it looks really nice!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.