Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my radiator hoses (Napa 7733) on my 1983 GL1100 Interstate (original 36 year old ones). They have these steel coil wraps that slip on and off. I can not get the upper hose onto the water pump piece with the coil in place. I've struggled for hours trying different things. Not looking for advice on how to make it work unless you have a foolproof, easy method. (I think if I cut some of the coil to make it shorter, I might be able to get it on), but before I bother with that.....

My question is, how important are these steel wraps? Cars and trucks don't have them. This upper hose is well protected and buried in the fairing, etc. The lower one seems more vulnerable and I have that one in place. Looking for opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Don't think they really do anything useful... Just my 2¢....

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
I have always put them on, never had a problem. You have to slide it up enough to expose the end of the hose enough to get it on the outlet. Not sure what the reason is but I think they keep the hose from expanding or I have had the thought they may be a heat sink to keep the hose cooler.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,027 Posts
Try leaving the top clamp loose and push the spring past the clamp area and then pull the lower end down to the water pump. I tried the NAPA hose on my 1200, but didn't like the way it fit. Maybe I cut it wrong but it was a little off on the angle and seemed a little stretched, like maybe the was not enough length. I went and got the correct GL parts and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input all. Before quitting for the day yesterday, I removed the coil and placed the hose properly which was easy. Today, I decided to try it again with the coil on. Boom! All good. My theory is that letting the hose spend a night in the correct position pre-shaped it properly. Today, it was a different beast and cooperated nicely.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hose coil-overs keep the hose from kinking in tight radius bends.

These hoses are different diameters and wall thicknesses - notice the top hose has the beginnings of a kink, but it's thick enough to support the bend without needing a coil-over. The middle hose is thinner and is a critical line for the supercharger, so it gets a coil-over for safety's sake.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
Hose coil-overs keep the hose from kinking in tight radius bends.
Yes but the bottom hose on a 4 cyl wing is straight and about 4" long. The top hose has a pretty gentle curve.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes but the bottom hose on a 4 cyl wing is straight and about 4" long. The top hose has a pretty gentle curve.
... and the hose is pre-formed to the curve, too. No kinking there...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Try leaving the top clamp loose and push the spring past the clamp area and then pull the lower end down to the water pump. I tried the NAPA hose on my 1200, but didn't like the way it fit. Maybe I cut it wrong but it was a little off on the angle and seemed a little stretched, like maybe the was not enough length. I went and got the correct GL parts and never looked back.

I've had the same experience with the NAPA hose. It's on there okay but I'd have paid a few bucks more for the better OEM fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts