Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys. I have a tiny hole in the base of my radiator about the circumference of a sewing needle. The hole is in the metal basin part at the bottom and not in the fins. I was wondering if anyone here knows of a good patch for that sort of thing. If not, could anyone direct me to a good spot online or otherwise to buy a radiator and let me know how much I should look to spend? Thanks very much for your time. It's an 84 Standard and I live in Texas.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

billy mayes here.... FIX ANY LEAK WITH MIGHTY PUTTY! ... haha sorry couldn't resist. this video explains everything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4a4O7kXQo

although i wouldn't use this on nearly anything. it's just hilarious. if you really are feeling confident in your skills you could solder the leak i imagine. tiny weld? but you're most secure fix is deff to get another one. fleabay will definitly have some but try my buddy stan first. he's in the sf bay but will prob ship. pm me for his number

chris

better yet check this ebay listing, can't get much better than this.

but it also might have a leak :waving:

radiator

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

I once patched a pinhole leak on my radiator in a big Chrysler 5th Ave with JB weld...lasted for the 3 years I owned the car!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

when i got my 82 1100.i took radiator to local shop had it cleaned and flushed he found small leak that he fixed.cost me about $30.00

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Take it to a radiator shop and let them have a look, most of the time they can be fixed as good as new, for whole lot less than the price of a new one.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Biker John wrote:
Take it to a radiator shop and let them have a look, most of the time they can be fixed as good as new, for whole lot less than the price of a new one.
I second this answer.

I had the exact same problem on my 1200 about 7 years ago. I thought I was going to have to buy a new radiator. Took it out of the bike and took it to a radiator shop and they cleaned it up really good, gave it an acid bath, and repaired the leak and repainted it. It looked like new.

I asked the guy if I had a leak in the cooling surface in one of the tubes could he fix that and he said easily. He said worst case he could recore it for about $75. That's a ton cheaper than replacing it.

I've since sold the bike, but the new owner is still riding it regular and it's still holding up.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for all the responses guys. With all the posts about using silicate free coolant, I have wondered whether or not a standard radiator shop could deal with a motorcycle radiator. It's good to hear success stories on that front. You guys are really appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.