1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey gang,

97SE with 40k miles

Ihave the 2 main radiator hoses to replace, firstquestion, are the "Water Tubes A-J in the Clymer service manualrubber and should also be replaced or are they something else and don't need replacing?

Next question,once the job is underway, should I also go after test/replacing the thermostat?

Anything else while I am in there?

I am not having any heat issues, this is all preventative

Thanks in advance
Toy4Rick

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't remember right now whether the hoses in question are rubber or not. You should be able to find out on the Honda Direct Line website parts break down. As for the thermostat, if you don't have a problem with it, leave it be, lots of them on 1100s are original equipment and still working just fine.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I can't comment on the hoses as I'm not familiar with the 1500 but I would replace the thermostat & the rad cap.

I'm not sure if you have periodically changed your antifreeze or not but if you haven't I would take the rad to a rad shop and get it cleaned.

When I was getting my old wing up & running I changed hoses, did a rad flush with a commercial product and thought the rad would be clean enough. This winter I had to take rad off to fix water pump issue and when I got around to looking inside the rad I could still see signs of corrosion, so I took to rad shop and had it professionally cleaned. Looks much better know.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys for the info.

Antifreeze has been changed every year since 04 when I bought it, always comes out looking like new and no crud.

My temp runs identical to my brothers 98SE so, that leaves me to believe everything is working fine, I might not tackle the thermostat at this time.

Thanks again

Toy4Rick

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Your choice as to whether you want to change the t-stat, but you may want to crack the bolts loose and retighten. These things have a way of binding up tight and when the day comes that you really do need to change the stat, you may have trouble getting the bolts loose.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd advise against loosening and retightening the bolts on the housing unless you have a replacement gasket on hand, just in case. I would recommend using aluminum anti-seize compound on the threads of all steel bolts and screws that go into aluminum. That will prevent a lot of snapped off fasteners in the future. There are also anti-seize compounds available for exhaust studs which is worth using too.

There's an old saying that everyone knows "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That old adage has a lot of validity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.