Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My left radiator is seeping from the seam at the top tank. its pretty slight, I could only smell it, I never saw it drip. I had the lower fairing parts off to replace spark plugs, and I noticed green around the top tank. Has anyone had any luck getting one repaired? I found a used radiator on Ebay for cheap, so i got it coming. But i thought I would keep this one and get it repaired. My luck with used parts on Ebay has been bad in the past. Seller says its in good condition...But we will see when it arrives. A new radiator is over 300.00 bucks from Cyclemax. So I decided on the used one for 15.00 bucks. I figure if it doesnt work, I could always have mine repaired. What do you fellas think? Would you trust a repair?

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

They can be repaired easily at car radiator repair shops. I had mine repaired 3 years ago and it is still holding up. I'd tried Radweld and that lasted about 2 days, and then I decided to get it repaired.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I've had one of the local shops here clean and reseal a set of 1500 radiators... They didn't bat and eye (IIRC was $35 each to clean em, seal a few weeps, and pressure test em) -- these weren't for my bike, so I can't offer feedback on any additional troubles.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Are you positive it's that actual rad that is leaking?

A leak can travel a long way before it makes itself visible.

Just above the left rad is the reserve overflow tank and there's a rubber grommet that has a habit of failing, but you have to get the whole level tube (part # 4) to get that fixed.

Check it out carefully. I looked at it twice but didn't detect it until I put a bit of forward pressure on it, and the crack revealed itself.

If it turns out to indeed be the tank that is leaking, I'd take it off and to a good rad shop, to be repaired.

Dusty

Edited to correct the part # - too much of a rush.:cheeky1: Thanks for pointing that out, Stu! :bow:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Check the hose running between the 2 radiators.
Also the reserve tank, I have seen one from a local forum member's(toy4rick) leaking from one of the locating nipples underneath it. They were spaced too close together, bad mold, and one rubbed through and started leaking. If you look up through the forks you can find where they come through the frame plate the tank sits on. Rick searched for hours trying to find his leak to no avail. I stopped by and was searching around with my super bright LED flashlight up there and saw a little bubble of antifreeze, by God's grace.
Keep searching, I hope you find the leak.
Also it could be the top of the reserve tank, the 90 deg elbow goes into a rubber grommet which is part of the dip tube, they crack and break and leak. Mine went out last spring.

#4 in the fiche

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=149365&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1995&fveh=3484

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I see Dusty was think the same as I was typing.
It is #4 Dusty, #6 is the clips

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Hey Dusty, your nuts are showing!

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
imported post

All the suggestions listed so far are great but I think one piece of PM'ing info needs to be touched on and that's to make sure distilled water is used along with silicate free antifreezeto refill the system!! Tap water AND filtered water both contain enough minerals and contaminates to gunk up the radiator and the theremostat and cause failure especially if there's a small leak and the system requires occasional coolant topping off!!

Using distilled water in both the cooling system and the battery are mandatory in my opinion to ensure the longest life possible for both!!!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I always usea pre mixed 50/50 silicate free coolant.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Its the radiator leaking...i went over it real good, and there is no coolant anywhere else except on the top seam. It isnt low on coolant and has never gotten hot. My guage will go to 3/4 or just a tad higher...but when i checked it with a digital thermometer, i never found a reading over 200 degrees with the fans cycleing. I figure my temp guage is off just a hair. My thermometer is a laser gun, with a digital readout so i trust it. I use it at work all the time. Anyone else have inaccurate temp guages? Ive read its pretty common.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

Ok many years ago. i learned rad repair
The main tools were water filled vat,torch with brazing tip
stainless wire brush,roll of solder, and solder paste and a lot of paste brushes. and an assortment of stoppers and a rubber plug with a Threded small pipe on center of plug to shove in radiator neck and close petcock , and plug hose inlet and outlet the hose was hooked to plug with pipe radiator sumerged just below the waterline lying flat.
with a regulator before plug with pipe anywhere in hose line it was turned down to 4 pounds pressure. open ball valve to let the reduced air enter radiator and it will bubble at leak remember spot.stop air.

remove from water unplug holes to allow steam pressure out while soldering. Light torch run over the leak area just enough to evaporate water on surface,to be repairedclean area at leak with wire brush and be shure to clean a little further out from hole. then Brush on solder pasteheat with torch remember blue flame. if the pin leak is small enough some times just the reheat of solder can seal the leak. but always brush solder paste in area and heat and touch solder melt in and heat till flow back away let cool and then retest . no leak well there you have it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.