Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone. I am in need of some help from you good folks.A friend of mine was helping with some wiring of lights and had to remove the false tank and detach the radio wiring harness,now I am installing all the parts by myself and don't know where the eight inch green wire,that is in the harness plug, ataches.If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.I feel sure it is a ground wire but not sure where it goes.Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I ground it to the metal box of the radio using one of the phillips screws along the bottom.

T

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

**** STOP ****

Punkincycle,

That green wire already goes into your wire harness and that's how your radio gets its ground. Don't loop it back to the radio, it will not get a ground. Use common sense here... why would they put a connector with a gazillion wires on it only to have someone have to unscrew the radio it's self to add a ground wire?

I had my radio out a few weeks ago in order to replace the air filter. The green wire attaches to the Radiator filler neck. There is a screw that holds it in place there and it get its ground from the chassis. Please see the attached picture.

You may damage something if your radio in not properly grounded!!!

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Mine is as us385south says, looped back under the radio and screwed to the radio box. Nothing wrong with attaching it to the bike frame itself though.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

chiefcherokee wrote:
Mine is as us385south says, looped back under the radio and screwed to the radio box. Nothing wrong with attaching it to the bike frame itself though.
Mine is the same way.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I checked Bikers workshop on this site under "Audio console removal" it shows a picture with the ground wire attached to the screw on the radio.Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

To try to clarify:

One end of the wire is screwed to the radio case, the other is screwed to a chassis ground.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
**** STOP ****

Punkincycle,

That green wire already goes into your wire harness and that's how your radio gets its ground. Don't loop it back to the radio, it will not get a ground. Use common sense here... why would they put a connector with a gazillion wires on it only to have someone have to unscrew the radio it's self to add a ground wire?

I had my radio out a few weeks ago in order to replace the air filter. The green wire attaches to the Radiator filler neck. There is a screw that holds it in place there and it get its ground from the chassis. Please see the attached picture.

You may damage something if your radio in not properly grounded!!!

Tim.
What Mr. MF said made so much sense to me that I did a continuity test on the wireing harness. (I have my radio out right now too.) It's true it's true... that green wire with the eyelet on it attached to the tab next to the radiator filler cap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.