Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

is there a car radio that i can replace orignal without a lot of mods.or just use the cass.adaptor to play ipod as my fm side of radio is junk.am is fine....

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

http://www.sierra-mc.com/

Call them and see if they can help you on getting your FM up and working. I know some have put a Marine type radio in.

Good Luck!!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

iif you are not interested on fm or tapes. just want to hook up your ipod. you can install an audio amplifier and use the ipod as a player. thats my setup on my 1200.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Krazy Al,

I have put in a cost effective system in my bike. Basically a $100.00 stereo that does it all (CD, MP3, USB and SD card). Just a good chunk of time to do it. What I did was a little advanced for some people. Just a lot of planning and basic wiring know how is all that is really needed.

You may get some ideas from it. You don't have to split the stereo and face plate like I did. Just some plastic to make a mount in the fairing, a stereo and a marine face plate.

Here is the thread... just look for my entries.

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=49466&forum_id=1&jump_to=495051#p495051

USB or SD card option, you don't have to take an external MP3 player and cord with you to break along the way. The less cables you have flopping around to cause an accident the better.

If you have questions, please ask. I would love to help you out.

Tim.

BTW, if your avatar is the picture of your bike, we have the same bike, paint and all.

Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Sandcast,

The short answer is No. I did not have to modify the depth of the gauge cluster.

But, if you check over the pictures again you will see…

What I did was remove the cassette deck and the caddie that it was mounted in from the fairing ( leaving the mount still in the faring) and then remove the actual cassette deck from the caddie that it was mounted in. I then took a new stereo and added it to the caddie. I used a marine faceplate to cover up the new stereo. However…

The face plate for the new stereo was removable. So, I built a custom cable that went from the new stereo to the gauge cluster. I mounted the faceplate up there where you can keep a good eye on things and not run off the road. What you see up there is just a face plate, not the entire stereo.

The old Honda CB/Cassette/Radio did not work. So I removed the guts of it from the gauge cluster and and all the wiring and additional parts from the fairing so this made room for the face plate and a new digital volt meter.

Does this answer your question? :) If not…. Keep asking!!!

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

You left the old radio controls in place I guess? The new radio face is in a different location than the radio. I saw the radio body where the old cassette was.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi,

That's correct. I left the old radio/CB/Intercom in place. No need to have a gaping hole there. My Next project is to convert a new CB or GMRS radio to take its place along with a good intercom.

Tim.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Hi,

That's correct. I left the old radio/CB/Intercom in place. No need to have a gaping hole there. My Next project is to convert a new CB or GMRS radio to take its place along with a good intercom.

Tim.
If you ever decide to chunk any of the clarion 2 system parts, I'll take them off your hands. I just about have a complete system of parts to install on my 82 except for the cb and radio handlebar controls. I don't need or want the cassette player as I've decided that I might be able to wire it's inputs to the distribution box for something else.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi,

I will let people know here when I get rid of the Honda "head". The rest of the other stuff was no good and was tossed. This "head" will be given away untested.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

MMF.

just wanted to say you did one hell of a job on radio.way above my head.so for now went with cass.adaptor to play ipod.just used velcro on back of ipod and on speaker.till i find out why fm side is so low on sound.BTW we do have same looking goldwings..

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

HeyKrazy Al,

Thanks for the compliment!!

Really though, if you have any wiring experience, are good with detail and you have imagination, you can do this. It was not hard, not rocket science just really time consuming. In total, I put in about 63 hours to do this and a lot more in looking and thinking.

Can't wait till spring to start more projects. Next comes a built in CB or some other communications system and a good intercom.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

SandCast,

It will/may probably control my version of the CB and Intercom. Iam considering usingthe Type II Head as it already has weather resistant controls on it. I would just modify it like I did with the handle bar controls for the stereo.

I don't know yet though. Haven't started the design process yet in my head yet. Too many other things going on in there. I wouldn't want to over load that 60hz processor up there! hahaha. I usually think things through from start to finish before I start.

That reminds me... I am going to start another thread... a pole to see what people use... a CB or FRS/GMRS. Thanks for the reminder.

Tim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.