Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was at the local RadioShack store yesterday and the salesman said that a radio antenna booster might help with reception on my GL1500 radio. Can anyone comment on whether this will help or not to improve the sound quality?

Thanks!

·
350 Posts
imported post

Thats why I put a satilite radio w/fm modulater to the antenna lead direct to the radio.

never loose a signal always strong and plenty of music to pick from. DOC :thumbsup:

·
350 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

DOC1500 wrote:
DOC1500 wrote:
Thats why I put a satilite radio w/fm modulator to the antenna lead direct to the radio. never loose a signal always strong and plenty of music to pick from.  DOC  :thumbsup:
here is link for the fm modulator : http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=1998401&catParentID=7872&scId=7872&oldParentID=7872 

there is a user guide to view when scroll down this page and you click support ..
So this lets the Satellite Radio use the FM antenna and single button switching between the Satellite and FM Radio?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

DOC1500 wrote:
DOC1500 wrote:
Thats why I put a satilite radio w/fm modulator to the antenna lead direct to the radio. never loose a signal always strong and plenty of music to pick from.  DOC  :thumbsup:
here is link for the fm modulator : http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=1998401&catParentID=7872&scId=7872&oldParentID=7872 

there is a user guide to view when scroll down this page and you click support ..
So this lets the Satellite Radio use the FM antenna and single button switching between the Satellite and FM Radio?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

A modulator and a booster are two different devices.

The booster "boosts" the signal strength into the radio. Weaker transmissions in fringe areas are improved and the result is clearer reception.

A modulator converts line in (low level) audio into an FM signal that is sent via the antenna wire to the radio.

If you are looking to boost radio (AM/FM) reception in fringe areas a booster is what you want.

If you are looking to add satellite, cd, ipod ect., a moduator is what you want.

The best way to get those auxillary audio devices to input into your radio is the aux mod. It's not hard, costs less than $25 to do yourself and offers the best sound.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

I noticed you said sound quality is what your interested in.
By this i assume you are meaning FM stereo reception.?
The problem with FM is that its a line of site signal and the more obstacles and distance between you and the source degrades the signal quickly. You might notice that while driving in a big city with lots of high buildings around , you stop at a light and suddenly lose all stereo and the station fuzzes out , you move forward a foot or two and the signal cames back 100%.? This is the buildings blocking the signal. FM signal boosters etc. work best when your putting distance between you and the source , my own opinion is to ensure your bikes ant. system has CLEAN connections at all points , especially were the ant. cable plugs into the radio. Coax. ant. cables will wick water through them and corrode this connection badly.
As an ex car stereo installer ,i would check the above and consider an amp. and/or better speakers etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.