Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I need an FM radio antenna for my 83 GL1100. I have the antenna mount that attaches to the trunk rack already, but need an antenna.

I've seen the AM/FM/CB radio types for around $40 that measure around 50 inches high. I don't need the CB part, just really FM. Now, I can get automotive antennas from around 30 inches to 53 inches, but the 53 seems pretty tall. Do I really *need* one that tall to receive well?

Thanks,

Jack

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No, you can get by with a shorter antenna for FM use. You might need to retune the antenna input to the receiver or not depending on the radio and the strength of the stations tune to. But your bike won't look as sexy as mine with two tall antennas.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

exavid wrote:
No, you can get by with a shorter antenna for FM use. You might need to retune the antenna input to the receiver or not depending on the radio and the strength of the stations tune to. But your bike won't look as sexy as mine with two tall antennas.
Heh...guess I'll have to take that chance. :) I still have the non-standard CB antenna that came on the bike's add-on rear light bar, but it's just for looks. I should have said that my radio is the stock Type II Clarion.

Thanks!

Jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.