Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My digital clock is not working today. (86A) I connected a cigarette lighter to the system and tapped into an accessory source. Now Isee that my clock is not working.I don'tknow if I friedit or it just quit on its own. Is the clock on a fusable line?

I suppose I can live without it. A simple stick on digital clock will suffice but if its an easy fix, like a fuse replacment I would do that.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

airbeat wrote:
My digital clock is not working today. (86A) I connected a cigarette lighter to the system and tapped into an accessory source. Now Isee that my clock is not working.I don'tknow if I friedit or it just quit on its own. Is the clock on a fusable line?

I suppose I can live without it. A simple stick on digital clock will suffice but if its an easy fix, like a fuse replacment I would do that.
Does the radio still retain the station presets? If that's gone too you have lost the fuse to the keep alive voltage. There is a non-switched 12V power lead to the radio that feeds the clock and the radio memory. I don't remember which lead it is in the radio connector, but I'm sure someone else here can identifiy the unswitched wire. First though, check all your fuses, sorry I don't remember which one it is either, I let my schematic go with my 1200.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Exavid and Tricky you guys hit the nail on the head. Sure enough the fuse in the left pocket was blown. Yes the radio presets were gone too. Must have shorted it out when searching for a 12V source for a cigarette lighter installation.

What a great site and bunch of people here.

That made my day!!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
It could be the 7.5 amp fuse in the left pocket, this bypasses the ignition switch.

Sir, I did a search on the words " 7.5 amp fuse" and foundthe abovethread that you had replied to (something about a person who lost their radio etc...., with a small section of a wiring diagram showing the fuse your wrote this about a month ago.

I have an 8mA draw on my battery and found that if I remove that fuse the draw goes to less than 0. I was wondering if you know what else that fuse powers besides the radio. I'm not sure if this is my problem but my battery goes dead after about a week.

Perhaps you know how I could see a copy of the wiring diag. :baffled:

Thanks

will.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wingventurer wrote:
tricky wrote:
It could be the 7.5 amp fuse in the left pocket, this bypasses the ignition switch.
Sir, I did a search on the words " 7.5 amp fuse" and foundthe abovethread that you had replied to (something about a person who lost their radio etc...., with a small section of a wiring diagram showing the fuse your wrote this about a month ago.
I have an 8mA draw on my battery and found that if I remove that fuse the draw goes to less than 0. I was wondering if you know what else that fuse powers besides the radio. I'm not sure if this is my problem but my battery goes dead after about a week.Perhaps you know how I could see a copy of the wiring diag. :baffled:
Hey will, there aren't any Sirs on this forum unless it's one of those English fellows! Eight milliamp isn't going to drain your battery for months. The current you're seeing is probably the keep alive voltage for the clock and the radio. If your battery is going dead in a week with that little draw, it's more likely the battery is moribund. As in the famous parrot!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hello Will, there's no Sirs in my family either! Welcome to the forum. Paul is right, 8ma is just not going to drain a decent battery. In fact, I would have expected maybe 10 or 15ma of a drain from a GL1200. Are you sure the battery is good and more importantly is it actually charging from the stator?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

A schematic is on its way Will, I have had lots of things waved at me :) but a sword on the shoulder wasnt one of them either :)
As in the PM I also would suspect the battery, you say it loses its charge after a week then it must be charging while riding that would isolate the alternator problem, never seen one partialy charge :)
If its reaching it's 3 year trusted life span......put a new on on.......oh another thought.....don't let it sit for a week....ride. :action:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Thanks for all your help. I now have the info and tools that I need to go on and figure this thing out.

Get back to you all soon

Thanks

will

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.