Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Yesterday I purchased an '82 GL1100. It had not been running for six years, owner had passed away. I've got it running and it appears that it really has only 12,618miles on it. So far so good. My question isregarding the sound system I can't seem to get any power to it and the in dash lights are out. Is there another fuse box other than the one inside the false tank. TIA for any help.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The fuses for the dash lights are in the fuse box under the false tank. The main fuses for the radio system are clamshell fuse holders in the left side of the fairing, accessed by taking out the left turn signal and left fairing pocket. It would also help to know if it has the Clarion 1 or 2 system in it as I've had both on my 82 Interstate with the Clarion 2 being the current system.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Pics of the bike and the radio control head in the left lower fairing would help identify which system you have easily.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Too soon for pics, don't have a camera but I will dive in there later tonite and find out. Thanx

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

If the radio display is on the panel next to you left knee, it is a model I. If the display is on the dash panel between the speakers, it is a model II. Pics are good.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

It's Clarion one. Radio panel is by left knee. I found only one fuse holder and that fuse was good.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I hope you don't have the same problem I had; mice.

My 1983 Aspencade had been sitting from 1999-2007. When I put the battery in the bike, only the headlight in the fairing worked. The mice destroyed the Clarion.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Lol, I don't think so.Mice don't last long here in South Florida too many snakes etc.:behead::behead:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

probably got moisture in the itty bitty input transformer for the power supply(inside radio)florida humidity or the pc board has rotten traces on it....if you got power to it

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem when I got my 81 Gl1100 this Spring. The radio worked, but only through the head set, not through the dash speakers. I took out the left fairing pocket and found 4 fuse holders, I think, and checked all of those and their connections. Found one fuse holder didn't have a fuse in it and another with a burnt out fuse. Repaced those and found a couple blade type wire connectors theat had been unplugged. Fixed that and the speakers have worked ever since.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

both radio panels are by your left knee but the actuall radio channel display is on the radio left knee on type1 and on the gauge panel under windshield on type 2. If you only uncovered one fuse you probably have to keep digging. There are 4 fuses on both types. 3 in the clamshells and one in the fuse holder.JB

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

You should have three of the clam shell type fuse holders inside the fairing near the headlight; access behind the left (sitting on the bike) turn signal light. They are part of the OEM wiring harnessin the 1982 GL 1100 Interstate fairing. The clam shell type open like a clam shell; they are White and about 1.5 inches long.
I think Dash lights out is another problem. Do you mean that only the Dash illumination lights are out?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Actually nothing works on the dash and radio. Looks like i'll have to keep digging in there and find the rest of those fuses. It got too dark last night I don't get home from work till 7:30. I just don't want mess up anything else while rooting around. Thanks Guys.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Are you the same Grambo from the VN750site ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.