Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm about fed up with the worthless radio and the tin can speakers. I never use it anymore because of it's problems. I want to replace it with something more modern and I can easily fabricate a new mounting plate and do a nice install. I know that if I lose the radio I lose the intercom also. No big deal as I never use that either. I will get a wireless set if I need that.

My questions are what else will I disable by removing the radio head? How about the CB? I would like to keep that if possible. Is it connected to the radio somehow? What else will happen if I ditch the radio? I plan on taking out just the radio itself and not the amplifier etc. Also as a side question, what other smaller CB antennas will work instead of the giant whip that's used now? I suppose I would have to match the antenna to the radio somehow.

Any and all advice is very much appreciated!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Sierra Electronics can put the radio back in working order for you. Those unitswere fairly reliable in their day.

It's not that easy to replace it with an aftermarket DIN system. The mount is also the support for the gauge cluster.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

Why don't you keep the factory setup and get a satelite radio tuner as I have on my 84 Aspy you will have more than enough music or what ever you listen to. Up grade the speakers as I also did . And retain the factory look . Just a thought

:?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

You'll definitly loose the intercom and I believe also the CB but I'm not sure about that... If you don't mind my asking what problems are you having with the radio? Tuning a station in?? If that's the problem you might need to perform Service Bulletin #11 on the Travel Computer! It consist's of pulling and dissasembling the TC so's you can install/solder in a small capacitor onto one of the internal circuit boards. If you want a copy of the service bulletin PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send it to you!

Tin can speakers?? What was state of the art OEMin '85 WILL sound kinda crappy by todays standard's but, c'mon!! They are 26 years old and most likely just need to be replaced due to rain and age! I've not looked for new ones for mine yet cuz they don't sound too bad, no fuzz or distortion but... This bike was garage kept!!

If you get and read the service bulletin and don't feel comfortable doing the work, I've got pictures of the last TC I modified for OharaLTD that I'll post for ya, (I've done 2 so far), or, You can mail me the TC and I'll buy the kit and do the modification and test it on my bike for ya! Free return Postage!!

Let us know what you need!!:coollep:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

The PO tried to modify the sound system on my bike,he put in bose speakers and a large power amp,(takes up half a saddlebag) but he says it draws too much power so i currently have no music, he says cb and intercom work but i have yet to figure them out. He says when his health improves he will help me fix it,he says the ballance toggle was gutted but other controls should work when he's done.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Sierra Electronics can put the radio back in working order for you. Those unitswere fairly reliable in their day.

It's not that easy to replace it with an aftermarket DIN system. The mount is also the support for the gauge cluster.
+2 I would suggest it for you also !

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

get an mp3 player and you have more music than you will know what to do with, ask any high school kid. walkabout :)

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Actually I did do the radio modification. It still just barely picks up stations. The speakers are shot for sure and I modified the radio with an input jack for a MP3 player.The main problem that I'm having is the radio is heavy and rattles around in it's mount on bumpy roads ( I have a lot of those) and the buttons are all clogged up and the display is on it's way out. It just seems to me to be a wiser decision to replace the radio with something smaller, lighter, and newer. I'm listening to all suggestions though with an open mind! Thanks so far!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.