Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Bike was stored in a barn for 4 years. Radio never worked real well. Finally got it working. Now the radio turns on, shows that it has a signal and is functioning but there is no sound from the speakers. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

you might check the amp fuse . i think its a 5amp fuse . one of the clam type fuse holders in side the fairing on the left behind the left turn siganal . or it could be a bad amp . that would be my guess.
oh---make sure the speakers are hooked up and right.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with my radio. Upon inspection the 5 amp fuse looked ok, but when I took a closer look, the glass was broken inside one end. Replaced the fuse and it is fine.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:2ac911,

[shadow=orange]WELCOME TO THE FORUM!![/shadow]

You didn't mention whether you have the Honda/Clarion Type I or Type II radio. If it's the Type IIis the "MUTE" switch on the handle bar control in the "MUTE" position? In "MUTE" you won't hear much unlessthe volume control is turned UP.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

buford56 wrote:
I had the same problem with my radio. Upon inspection the 5 amp fuse looked ok, but when I took a closer look, the glass was broken inside one end. Replaced the fuse and it is fine.
I had the same issue as well, The fuse is on a black wire under the left hand fairing pocket. (This info based on the type 1 radio) If it is a type 1 and you need further help I can email you the factory install manual.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

The Clarion 2 was not an easy self fix for me. The wiring and install diagrams are in the archives. How difficult it is depends on what you have. Mine is the full meal deal AM,FM,Cassette, CB and Intercom. When you have all of the components the wiring harness changes and a controller is added. I have the three main fuses which are in a little coffin/ box enclosure and the harness continues from there. The connectors on the harness are color matched to the device as are the controller dins. I finally took everything out of the fairing and set it up on stands around the fairing on the bike. I checked all of the grounds at all of the mounting plates. What you seeon the fairing arejust controls and the actual radios/amps are inside the fairing. I eventually found that the CB turned on blew the 2 amp fuse and killed the radio and tape controls. I am not sure a restoration of the factory systemwith 25 year old technology is worth sending it to Sierra Electronics (archives) to fix. There certainly isn't any collector value now. I am considering replacing the cassette with a Pioneer marine am/fm/CD bluetooth compatable player. Since the control is functioning, I would check the ground on the actual amp and radio in addition to the antenna leadfirst. Good luck, dj

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

My right side speaker TYPE II sometimes just hisses, and sometimes works. I agree, the amp may be bad. It is a chore to empty the fairing.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

This is a TYPE 1 radio. Alsoo it looks like it would be a pain to pull out of the fairing. Hope it is just a fuse. I will try that first after work today. Thaks to everyone for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Actually, the TYPE I is a piece of cake compared to the TYPE II. Two separate pieces (tuner and controls connected) under left pouch and the amp under the right turn signal. I doubt the speaker are bad.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

I agree on the type one. Contact cleaner, check ground on amp, fuse to amp, speaker leads and antenna. Hopefully that will get the tunes going. dj

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Just spend 45 minutes poking around inside my fairing looking for that black wire with the clamshell fuse holder. Found 3 of those fuse holders and 3 inline holders. All the fuses were good. Found one black wire that was unplugged. Could not find anything or anywhere to plug it in. Also could see no black wire coming from the radio or the amp at all.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

2ac911 wrote:
Just spend 45 minutes poking around inside my fairing looking for that black wire with the clamshell fuse holder. Found 3 of those fuse holders and 3 inline holders. All the fuses were good. Found one black wire that was unplugged. Could not find anything or anywhere to plug it in. Also could see no black wire coming from the radio or the amp at all.
PM me your email address and I will send you the installation manual.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

MADDOG355, why don't you email the Clarion I install manual to GSMcLean and let him put it up on his website with the rest of the manuals? i had to use the install guide for the Clarion II system as a guide to install my Clarion I because no one has ever said they had that manual availible.

And before anyone mentions it, GSMcLean only has the service manual for the Clarion I CB on his site, not the install manual.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

My type 1 illuminates but wont tune a station. It just displays a station (108.00) It switches from AM to FM as well. My question is, if there is a blown fuse somewhere or if the antenna is disconnected, would that cause the control unit to be "stuck" on one station or does that automatically mean the control unit is bad? I really dont want to get hung up on messing with a 26 year old radio if its not something relatively simple like a fuse or bad antenna connection. I'll just leave all the Clarion junk in the fairing and retrofit another modern system in any available space.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.