Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought my 1st wing last month from a 70 year old grandmother,anyway I get a static whine noise from the radio while riding, it varies with rpm, any ideas, plug wires? thanks hdtp57

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Is it an 84-87 model.
These were prone to this problem.
There was a harness available to eliminate this. It is no longer available.
Does the noise disappear when you apply the brakes?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

it is an 85 aspen. any idea where i can find a harness or is there another repair i can do, or just live with it? thanks for the help.

I'll check to see if it goes away when i hit the brake if it does what does that mean?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

One thing you might check is your spark plugs and make sure you have the ones with the "R" in them. This R means resistor and if you have the wrong plugs it can cause the whine you mention. The resistor eliminates the whine, at least on the early GL1100's

G Ray Glenn Sr

Proud rider/owner of a 1980 GL1100 Interstate,

"The first real GoldWing" IMHO

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Buy a radio anti noice capacitor at Your nearest cardealer and connect it to the alternator as close as possible. The wheeningnoise is typical alternatorrelated.

Thomas / Sweden

:18blue:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If the noise disappears when the brakes are applied then it is the classic 84-87 problem. It seems that problem is caused by the excess current being passed to ground (as it was explained to me) and when the brakes are applied there isnt any excess current.
I thought this problem was more to do with using the headsets rather than the speaker so it might not be the same as your problem.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

the noise does stop when either brake is applied, i don;t have a head set yet to try it. I will try to put a noise reducer in line and see if that helps, what about this cable I have heard about how can I get one? do they work?

Steve hdtp57

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

J&M made the Regulator rectifier noise filter HNF-350 unfortunately not available any more. I put one on my bike about 4 years ago and yes it does work.
From the info I have managed to gather, when the alternator is charging, any surplus current after 14.8v is shunted to ground. When you apply your brakes the tail lights etc use up this surplus and the buzzing stops.
Possibly adding an extra ground wire from the bracket holding the rectifier and going direct to the ground\negative side of the battery may help.
The harness consisted of numerous extra grounding wires and a couple of capacitors.
If you have a voltmeter on the bike you could, and I have heard of it being done, add a couple of lights, to use up the surplus providing you dont use so much that your voltage drops too low. The current is being generated anyway, the theory is that "you might as well use it" :action:

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Hi, i think i may have the part you are looking for. I sell many parts for honda gls on ebay.

I was looking online for more info on this older part and i came across this message.

Anyway i have a regulator rectifier noise filter for the 1985 goldwing ltd and the 1986 goldwing sei

it is from J&M corporation and in still new in the package

If you think this is what you need please email me and we can make arrangement to make a purchase if not it will be listed over the weekend so either way you will be able to purchase it,if needed.

Regards, Dawn

·
Premium Member
82 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

I have same problem exactly.

How did you wire it in?

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I'm told by a pretty good source for GoldWing information that the 1984 models had a weak or faulty rectifier/regulator. Honda apparently fixed the problem in 1985 and newer models by replacing the unit. I have the opportunity to acquire a rectifier/regulator from an '85 Interstate and was wondering if it would be a straight swap and secondly, whether it would cure the problem.

The hissing noise is starting to get to me and my bride.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Hi Keener;

How did you wire this in?

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.