Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:gunhead: I just purchased an 83 Gl1100 Aspencade. Where the radio unit would go, it had a blank faceplate. I purchased a use radio / cb/ intercom system and lo and behold, the rest of the system was already installed in the fairing. I plugged in the system, purchased an attenna and it looked like everything worked. I did not have a headset but I was able to hear the CB and the radio. Well after screwing around with removing parts (windshied, volt meter cluster) off the fairing and reinstalling, everything still worked for a short time. Now the radio will not work. I can push the clock button and it stays on for a few moments. The CB works fine, but I have nothing on the guage for the radio. I've checked fuses, plugged and unplugged everything, took all the connectors apart and still no luck. Anyone have a "oh, there is a hidden fuse or something" that they can suggest. I've taken this thing apart so many times, I'm just about ready to give up.

Also I'm scanning E-bay for an inexpensiveheadset. It looks like a J&M set would be the best, but can someone suggest one over the other. It looks like "old stock" goes for $20 to $80.00.

Also most of the ads say 1500 or 1800. Are all the 5 pin connectors the same. Will most of these units also work on my 83 1100?

Jerry:(

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The headsets for the Wing will work on all models. All the fuses for the radio system are in the fairing behind the turn signal, it's all self contained in the fairing and as you probably know it's a very tight fit. If the radio display works but no sound you might try checking the amplifier connections. That's the box with the big audio connections.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Inexpensive could be under $10.00 if you choose. 32 ohm earpieces and use the pinout to wire to a five pin plug. In my opinion the sound quality is equal to J&M whose prices are highly overinflated. Addition of the microphone as well is your option, I have had luck with electret and dynamic.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

:DRadio mute is not on. There is no display on the dash except for when I press the clock button. It will display the time. When the radiowas working, it displayed on the right dash guage the station and if it was AM or FM.

:shock:There were 4 fuses that I found so far in the fairing. Three are grouped together in 3 white plastic fuse holders. I tested for 12 volts on both sides of the fuse. There good. The single fuse with a blue wire is also good. I have not unplugged and plugged the connector to the main junction box yet. I will try that.

Based on my reading, the stereo is actually housed on the right side of the fairing. Are there any fuses there? I'm also assuming that if the clock works, as well as the cb, that I have power to the system. Thanks for the help.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem with the radio. AFter struggling with it, I pulled the stock radio, sold it on eBay and bought an aftermaket unit that fits above the gauges. It is not stock and does not look as good as the factory unit, but the new radio/cassette works well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.