Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking for some advice on a problem with my radio.

I took my 1800 to a shop that specializes in radio/communication devices for Goldwings. I had the speakers upgraded to J&M's. All was well for a month or so, then the speakers would sporadically just go to static and noise. Then they would be fine. It kept getting worse to the point that now they don't work at all. Just noise. However, the radio works fine through the headsets. I called the installers and they said there's nothing wrong with the speakers since I can hear noise coming out of them. They said a capacitor is bad in the radio and they will fix it for $100.

I would just take them at their word but I also was having problems with my intercom system and they tested my lower cables and said both were bad and sold me two new ones. That didn't fix it and now they're saying it's a connection in my mic. Again, the radio worked fine through the headsets, but the mic would cut out when using it. I had doubts that both lower cables would be bad if we could both hear the radio without it cutting out, but I took them at their word.

Thoughts. Especially about the capacitor fix?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
First thing I would do is to take off the top shelter and make sure everything is plugged in securely.:waving:There is a member on here from Sierra Electronics that fix wing radio's. Hopefully they will be along to help.

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
The word "specializes" is the key word in your thread.
That's why you took your bike to them in the first place, right.
So, if they are telling you the radio needs a $100 repair, that's most likely correct!
As far as the headset problem goes, if the lower cords did not correct the problem, I don't understand why further investigation was not done then????
Pretty sure I know where you took your bike and I have done business w/them for years and have always been pleased.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Kind of sounds like your radio shop is using the "hand grenade" method of troubleshooting - ya know, toss it in and see what it hits!!! :?

There is a definite methodology to troubleshooting electronic devices and it sounds as though they are NOT very methodical... If you have a friend or buddy you can exchange cord-sets with, try that first... If that fails, you can remove your radio and send it to Sierra... They are a quality shop with a good reputation...

If you can hear noise coming out of your speakers, it sounds as though they are working and the problem is in another area... I think your radio shop is correct in that response...

It is worth mentioning here that some Wings in our club have actually had large sections of wiring harness replaced to fix problems like you are mentioning... I'm not saying that this is your problem, but don't rule it out entirely if other attempts to repair the radio do not resolve the issue...

Les

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes, you probably know who I'm talking about deputydawg, and they do have a good reputation. As to why no further investigation was done, when I first took it there they told me I needed new lowers and it seemed to help the first couple of rides. But it's an intermittent problem so it took awhile for me to realize that it was still cutting out. It didn't, and still doesn't, do it all the time. Regarding the the radio, I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that it's the capacitor before I drop another $100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.