Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On my GL1200A the radio cuts in and out while I driving. Appears to be connector related. I did a search but couldn't find anything on cleaning or tightening up the connector. Is there anyway to get the radio to seat in the connector better or is the connector just worn out?

Thanks,

Dick

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hi Dick,

Oftenit's the connector on the back of the radio and the socket in the fairing. If you are careful you can pry up the phosphor bronze 'fingers' a little bit to make better contact, they get flattened a bit over time. Also clean off the ones you can reach, scrape them a little bit with a small knife blade, eraser or very fine emery cloth. Then shoot both sides with a little contact cleaner.Normally that will do the job.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Paul,

That's the connector I was refering to but didn't want to startprying around on it till I checked to see if someone had any ideas about it. I'll fiddle around with it tonight and see if it helps. I'd like to get it fixed so I can stick my XM on the bike for trips.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Be gentle... I'm not sure,,, (slightly color blind), but I think those receiver connections are gold plated to help prevent corrosion.

All I've ever done is clean them off with contact cleaner and bend them out slightly (on the receiver end) like Exavid said. I made a small tool from an electricians pocket screwdriver by bending the flat tip slightly so it will slide under the contacts. When twisted either up or down, it pulls the contact with it...

Good luck and let us know if you have any results.. :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I think your right about them being gold plated. At least their gold colored. They show alot of wear. Don't know if they're just discolored or the gold is worn thru.

I'll fix up a tool simular to what you described and tweak them a bit. I'm going off on a bus trip and won't get a chance to work on it for a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks,

Dick

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't think they are gold plated, just natural color of phosphor bronze.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Paul,

Well then I won't have to worry about worn plating. I was afraid if I tried to clean them up with some real fine emery paperI might damage the plating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.