Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

radio problems 1982 Aspencade

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  83GoldWinger 
#1 ·
imported post

The tuner and control units have been replaced , the cass. deck and intercom work fine. I have tried a new automotive antenna with a new antenna lead. Every fuse has been checked or replaced . The CB lights up but nothing is heard except static. Open for any and all thoughts . I'm working of the problem currently and have most the system apart but functional.

#2 ·
imported post

:waving:What kind of automotive antenna are you using? Is it a AM/FM/CB antenna similar to the OEM that was on the bike?

#3 ·
imported post

I have two original equipment antennas which are am/fm /cb , I was trying the automotive antenna in an effort to eliminate a problem with the honda antenna or antenna lead - in. I mad sure the temporary antenna was grounded.

#4 ·
imported post

am/fm--check that the mute switch is in the rearward postion --off.

cb---does the tx light up on the display ? if no one is transmitten all you will hear is staic. dont transmitte too long if it lites up. unless you know what the SWR is.

#5 ·
imported post

How about going into your profile and updating your location, at least city and state. You never know when you'll have some one close by for on hands help or to ride with.
Now as to the radio and cb, where do you have the antenna lead plugged into? It has to go into the antenna splitter to work properly and also has to be a am/fm/cb combo antenna for the cb to function properly, it can't be a standard car antenna or you could risk burning out the cb if you haven't already done so.

#8 ·
imported post

I have plugged the antenna directly into the plug coming from the tuner , I believe theCB is still ok , my workshop has a steel roof so that may explain the cb not receiving . I'll try to update my profile , where about is the antenna splitter located, is it the small silver box located behind the removable control unit on the left side of the fairing?

#9 ·
imported post

The problem is with the am/fm everything else seems to work , I have a satellite radio in my workshop and it the bike radio is turned up fully you can hear the satellite radio station playing if you tuner the bike radio to the same frequency. Because I am getting some sound , I thought I was having antenna issues.

#10 ·
imported post

Download the manual on the web, they can be downloaded from lots of places.

#11 ·
imported post

Jaclegg3.I have an '83 Aspencade with the Clarion 2 system and my am/fm radio catches stations but will not play loud all the time.Sometimes it spikes and plays fine for minutes and sometimes it spikes and the speakers go rigid on me or they flutter fast.
One switch sets the fm to low or high and high is indicated by the green fm light coming on.Mine plays best with the green fm light on.I also attached an 8 gauge copper wire to the antenna coaxial cable and that helped catch a station a bit more.
I called Sierra Electronics and spoke to a lady there telling her that I'd like to send my unit in but don't know which part is faulty.I think its the amp section because the radio pulls in stations.She said she would have a tech call me back but they never did.I'm guessing the amp has capacitors that have died or are dying after 25 years.If I could get it apart I'd replace the capacitors myself and see if that works.
Its such a PITA to get the units out of the fairing that I put it off till after I get my root canal done! thats a joke meaning I'd rather have the root canal than pull the amp out...HaHa!
Well I'll give it a try today and see if the amp has any user servicable parts.
Another option is to get a 25-30 watt amp and hook it up bypassing the original.Of course I don't want to spend $175 on a 300 watt amp so I'm going over to the auto stereo place that is going out of business and see what they have.Maybe pulled something out of a car and I can get it cheap.
I'll post results.

#12 ·
imported post

if it is an automotive radio it proballty has a built in amp. i have never seen anyone amplify the amplifier in their car so you may need to rewire the speakers to the new radio

#13 ·
imported post

Jaclegg3 wrote:
where about is the antenna splitter located, is it the small silver box located behind the removable control unit on the left side of the fairing?
Antenna splitter according to the diagram of the download appears to be mounted to the bottom of the pocket, directly behind the CB, much like the 1200 is. It is hard to miss. The box behind the amp, should be your final junction box.

#14 ·
imported post

Thanks for your ideas , I have a spare power amp ( orginal equipment) , I guess I thought my orginal power amp was OK because the Cass. deck works perfectly . I might change out the power amp and see if it makes a difference. Dave

#15 ·
imported post

lucky_x16 wrote:
Jaclegg3 wrote:
where about is the antenna splitter located, is it the small silver box located behind the removable control unit on the left side of the fairing?
Antenna splitter according to the diagram of the download appears to be mounted to the bottom of the pocket, directly behind the CB, much like the 1200 is. It is hard to miss. The box behind the amp, should be your final junction box.
:waving:The antenna splitter is at the bottom of the fairing below the cassettedeck. The CB unit is on the R/H side of the fairing fowward of the AM/FM tuner which is below the R/H storage pocket.

Also mounted inside the fairing are left to right: component terminal, power amp, and CB. Everthing plugs into the compnent terminal:intercom controller, cassette deck, AM/FM radio tuner, power amplifier, CB, andconnector from the ALC amp. The branch lead for the head set plugs into the ALC amp which is piggyback on the component terminal.

All the above info is for the Honda Clarion Type II audio system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.