Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello, everyone, I am a newcomer in the Goldwing world. I just bought an 1997 Aspencade in good working order. I am a technical translator, what with a bilingualk countryand I have held that job for about 10 years now. I plan to make use of my new steed with an association that organises240 miles runsevery saturday. And in time, I willgo to the US. So that's it for me.

However, the bike, while good to go, has some problems with theradio. Its volume is so weak at maximum that I can scarcely hear it at rest; I can't hear it at all at spped. I can hear it(barely ) at speed in Intercom mode. The automatic volume control seems to work, but even so, I can't help to think that an electric problem is the cause of this. Also, the cassette player does not work at all. It just won't open, and I dare not try to force it open. None of this is life threatening, and I understand that the OEM system puts out barely 25 watts, but even so, I should hear something when underway, should'n I? I will have to bring it the the dealer to replace the tires with Michelin Pilot GT, so I will ask the techs to look at the audio system as well. But I would appreciate any idea about what could be wrong with the audio system.

Thank you all, and I look forward to chat with you all.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Probably all that needs to be done is ensure that the wiring is clean and tight.
Over the years weather can cause corrosion on the connections.
I doubt you will find a tech with much more knowledge than you can glean from this site, of course he will be willing to take your money.
You will need to get your hands in and do a little learning.
I have a 1200 radio system which is somewhat different from the 1500

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi and welcome to the forum is the mute button on the left handlebar controls in the off possitionand there may be a tape stuck in the tape deck when you press the eject button justpress the liddownthen relesase it should :(pop up

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Check that the mute switch is in the out position sometimes its sticks you can also spray some silicon lube around the switch to free it up But I have found that people (children like to play with switches and bottons ) and that they get pushed in and you forget to check them Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I have done that already and it doesn't help. It has been suggested that the culprit could be a relay behind the left fuse panel.

Cogito, ergo sum

·
Pwhoever
3,280 Posts
imported post

Not a relay behind the fuse box but a fuse inside the relay box. It can be a pain to get at. There are 2 separate compartments under the left side cover. One compartment (skinnier) will have just fuses. The other larger compartment will contain the relays and 2 more fuses. At the bottom and towards the front of the relay compartment will be the fuse that Wayne was talking about.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Upon reading other post about radio problems There is a fuse located inside of the radio that could be part of your problem. That fuse is part of the Amp circuit. The two fuses that you were refering that are under the left side cover, if they failed you would have no power to the radio or cb. It is interesting to read all of the post concerning the radio as there can be a lot of information gained from them. Again hope this is of some help

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

There is not an internal fuse in the radio. The fuse I was referring to, 5 amp, number 13 I believe, controls the memory back up, clock memory, and the amplifier turn on for the external speakers, this amp is internal to the stereo and not external. The headset volume will work normally with this fuse out of the circuit because the headsets use the low level output.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Well, guys, I tried to get the radio fixed, but the dealer (Powersports Canada) insists that I get the radio a diagnostic. This, I am told, woudl take 2 hours, at an hourly rate of 89$. I have checked all the fuses and they're OK. So I must presume this might have something to do with the relay formentioned. But If this is the faulty component, how do I replace it if is an internal component? or would it be possible to fit another radio from Clarion, one more up to date? HELP!

Cogito, ergo sum

·
Pwhoever
3,280 Posts
imported post

Get in touch with Wayne
[email protected]
http://www.sierra-mc.com
Sierra is about the only ones I know that can be trusted to test and repair the radio. They did one for me and a bunch of others from this site. For a flat fee of $99.00 they will test and usually repair the radio if it is needed. If you are sure that the fuses are ok and all the connections are ok, it could be the actual radio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.