Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I installed a flag pole on my bike, it is the one that mounts on the radio antenna. After installation my cb radio would not receive a signal unless you were within 50 feet of the unit transmitting, I took it off the cb antenna and the cb works fine I then inststalled it on the fm antenna and lost reception on my fm/am radio. Again I took it off that antenna and regained my fm signal, my question is has any one else had this kind of problem with the antenna mounted flag or is it just my luck? :stumped:If this has happened to anyone else how can I rectify the problem or did I throw away $70.00 on a fancy piece of chrome:baffled:?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Post a link to the flag mount/pole you're talking about. I have flags on my radio antenna but not a flag mount.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

its sounds like the little flag pole is reactingagainst radio antenna,and causing a ressistances, and is making you radio antenna longer than what it should be, check your swr while you got it on, i would imagine its knocked that out aswell,, what you could do is insulate the part with tape where you are mounting the pole and see what it does,also checking the swr, if its still the same i'd just mount the flag on your own antenna

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Interesting. A fellow rider on an 08 Airbag had the same problem. He removed the flag pole and the problem went away. Put it back on and the problem returned. It [the flag pole] went into the dumpster.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

anything made from any kind of metal will alter the radio antenna which will harm the finals in your radio when you transmit. even mounting that pole near your cb antenna will alter your signal or its direction. it might act as a reflector or a director for your signal.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Wrapping non-conductive tape around the contact point won't make any difference. At the frequencies involved, just being NEAR to the antenna is enough, and having it separated from the antenna by a couple layers of electrical tape is in effect going to create a capacitor - which the RF signal will pass directly through.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Got it fixed!!!! Just took a dremmel tool and a few minutes of grinding. I mounted it on the fm side and all works great, the swr's was checked and are well in specs. Thanks for all the help and constructive critisim.:cool::cool::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

Robert,

I have had a fit trying to figure this flag pole out. What exactly did you do with the dremel tool? Drill out the center? How does it attach to the antenna? Pics?

I only want to use mine on occasion; parades, holidays, etc.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm suspecting you ground off the bottom end of the thing so it wouldn't ground the flag pole to the antenna mount. You could also slit a nylon washer and slip it around the antenna so the pole rests on an insulator for greater protection.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hi SHNEV here is a pic of my old antenna if you look close you can see two parts of the base divided by a black washer, the flag pole was shorting these two together, I used a dremmel tool and opened the lower hole in the flag pole enough to seperate the pole from the antenna.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

Looks like you did a fantastic job, thanks for the pics. To store mine, I've got to put down the antennas. I can't figure out how to start the thread to get them to fold properly. The instructions for installation are vague and the pictures blow chunks! I guess when I do finally get it on it will remain till the end of time itself.

Ride Safe...

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Robert1984 wrote:
Hi SHNEV here is a pic of my old antenna if you look close you can see two parts of the base divided by a black washer, the flag pole was shorting these two together, I used a dremmel tool and opened the lower hole in the flag pole enough to seperate the pole from the antenna.
That will definitely cause a problem - the bottom of the pole, below the black washer, is ground. The top of the pole, above the black washer, is the antenna. If you did this on your CB, and transmitted, you'll very likely damage the final outputs of your CB. On the FM side, it has the same effect (mostly) as cutting off the antenna entirely! Your solution, preventing it from shorting the two together, will work fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.