Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I love the HID lights, rode to work this morning in total darkness and was pleased with the lighting. But, since I installed the lights my radio reception is terrible. No I didn't mess with anything having to do with the radio or antenna, didn't even have to take the shelter off. I tested my suspicion by tuning in a station I usually get a strong signal from, going away from town when it faded out I pulled in the clutch and turned the switch to accessory and the station came back. After I got home I tuned in a weak station on acc. then turned the lights on and it faded out, pulled the headlight low beam fuse and it came back. Somehow the ballasts are interfering with the radio reception.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

That is a common complaint and situation with the ballasts for HID lighting. The regular ballasts do not have adequate shielding, and if you wrap them in aluminum foil or something the trapped heat burns them up .

It is said, and I really do not know, that digital ballasts do not cause the interference.
Digital ballast kits are available for the HID lights and seem to be the only known solution.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
That is a common complaint and situation with the ballasts for HID lighting. The regular ballasts do not have adequate shielding, and if you wrap them in aluminum foil or something the trapped heat burns them up .

It is said, and I really do not know, that digital ballasts do not cause the interference.
Digital ballast kits are available for the HID lights and seem to be the only known solution.

Kit
I sure wish I had known that before hand. Just my luck.:(

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:

Kit
I sure wish I had known that before hand. Just my luck.:(
Maybe? locating the ballasts a distance away from the radio and running longer wires would work? Use shielded wire for the install? Just an idea, I really do not know, some radio place might know if that would work or not.

Could be running a separate ground and not using the OEM ground wire would work.
I have heard of Honda Cars having problems and the installation of a separate ground was the solution.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I may try some of those things, maybe attaching a ground to the actual ballast casing would work. I have them mounted forward of the fairing pockets and there is not much other choice as to where to put them and the instructions warn not to cut or extend the wires. Meanwhile I need to find myself an I-pod.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i may be able to "test" your theory about attaching a ground soon,as i bought a bi-xenon system with a good digital ballast and my plans are to extend wiring to underneath the rear seat area, this after talking to the "tech" person where i bought my unit,only wires i have to extend in my setup is the "stock" headlight signal connector, i would think that the ballast would not have to be mounted in the fairing area but anywheres on motorcycle since they are in a weathertight enclosure ,mounting out in the open in some clean air i would assume is preferred anyway

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

William_86 wrote:
is ur ballast connected directly to the battery?
Who's? mine are not, they are connected to the original low beam bulb connectors.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

neoracer, how long are the wires that came with your kit? Mine were only 20" so mounting them anywhere besides in the fairing was not possible. I know you can extend the original headlight wires but you can not extend the wiring from the ballast to the bulb.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i would suggest to wire them to the battery, i understand the 1800 has single bulbs right?, low and high beams are separated. have you only installed the xenon on the low beam bulbs?

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

William86,I suppose you mean to bring a hot and ground wire from the battery and use the original wiring to operate a relay to turn them on? Do you have experience with this and the effect on radio reception?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

yes thats what i mean. it may help you to isolate the hids from the bikes electrical system.
im running hid on my 1200. but i do not have a radio. just an amplifier and my ipod wired to it.
i have a friend who is expert on xenon kids and setups. ill ask him if he ever had this problem.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

Dave0430,
1)bulb section is about 8" long
2)the ballast to the headlight connector is about 20 plus 12" on the other side of ballast towards the switching relay
3)the harness back to the switching relay for the H4 is about 6 feet
4)the harness to the other H4 is about 2 feet long
in looking at the harness for either headlight i dont find any shielded or special wiring setup which prevent someone for lengthening that line,doesn't appear to be "high voltage" or anything, but will contact my "tech" guy tomm for just info in knowing, if you have your instructions and/install diagrams, scan them and send them to me in an email, i would think that one of the main reason they dont want u to extend these lines is a warranty and liability issue

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

william86,
I would think that the single bulb setup would only use the stock headlight connector as a "signal" wire to switch on the HID system, we will see if dave0430 can send me the install info, u have any idea what voltage that ballast to headlight
line is running

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Okay, well don't jump on me for asking, but if the ballasts can't be wrapped with shielding material, because of heat issues, would it be possible to perhaps achieve the shielding on the very thing that is being affected.... the radio/ aerial?

Just a thought. :baffled:

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

neoracer the cable from the ballast to the bulb is a special shielded cable but the pigtail wires on the bulbs do not look like anything special, I only know that what little instruction there was said (do not attempt to lengthen the wires). I don't know what the voltage output is but apparently very high, I do know industrial lighting of this type is very high voltage and can't be measured with a common meter because of the high frequency.
Pete, if I knew what it was that needed shielding that might be an option.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well to those reading all this, I am as curious as the next person to find a solution to any situation.

I just want to say, just in case, so all will know, and the reason I have never gotten into HID lighting. is :

They are illegal.

The lights in factory vehicles are approved by DOT and are legal.

Those made by the very same company and let unto the market for installation in other vehicles are not legal. They are intended for off road use, and none of them in any country are legal for installation. This is why most if not all aftermarket motorcycle supply and parts places have stopped selling them.

Just so you all know, do with it what you will, no intent but to inform.

My research on this deal simply shows that on advance vehicles with radio and CB and the like that digital ballasts are required, all other thing are like trying to patch a tire with a piece of gorilla tape, it may hold for a minute or two.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

My vote is for old age and being able to see vs stock lights and candles

vote: deer vs motorcycles 1 :(:(:(:(
motorcycles missses deer 2 :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::dude::dude::dude:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Being surprised by Kit's statement about the HID system lights, I took it upon myself to look up some info on the legality of HID lighting in the UK, since as we know, there are plenty of cars driving around with them fitted by the manufaturers and this is what I found, which confirms what Kit says, in that aftermarket kits are indeed not legal here.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Again, like Kit, this is purely for information purpose and if you have fitted them or are going to do so, I don't give a flying fig!!! :):waving:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.