Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2018 DCT Tour. The only issue I have is the radio reception is horrible!!!! Since they went to the hidden antenna, they absolutely ruined the radio reception. My 1500 and my '06 1800 had far better reception than my 2018. I have asked if they make a aftermarket antenna for it and have been told no. Most peoples response is "you listen to the radio"? And the answer is "yes". When we travel, I like to listen to local radio stations for updates on the weather in the area. Being as how Honda took away that option as well. I liked being able to get the weather from the Nation Weather Service. If anyone has a fix or a work around for this issue, I would love to hear what it is. We have Sirus XM and have the app on our phones, but then have to pay the data charges for that. And that could get pricey on a 2 week trip and 10 to 12 hours a day. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
You are not the first to complain about that. No fix that I've heard of. They probably didn't put in much effort because nobody much listens to radio any more. I can't stand music radio myself, more talk than music & endless commercials. I would listen to talk radio if I could pick it up anywhere out of sight of the tower.

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
Has anyone tried an FM antenna booster amplifier?
that isn't going to work,
if the antenna is in a very poor location....

there needs to be an External Antenna for the radio to work properly....
I recall listening to my favorite NPR station on FM from Mesa south to I-8 and nearly all the way to Yuma, AZ when I had my '94SE

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
I love my 2018 DCT Tour. … We have Sirus XM and have the app on our phones, but then have to pay the data charges for that. And that could get pricey on a 2 week trip and 10 to 12 hours a day. Thanks in advance.
Do you have a SirusXM receiver that uses docking stations or is it a Sat radio in a vehicle … or is it just an app on a phone?

I ask because you might pick up a used receiver set up like on Ebay and get a lower rate as a second receiver? Mount mine in trunk with wireless modulator 6" from antenna, no interferance that way. I just set my XM to my chosen channel & shut the trunk, like carrying my own radio station.

I know one guy used a wireless modulator and vehicle docking station in a belt with pockets, just plugged in his power when riding, antenna was magnetic and he stuck it someplace like a rack, etc.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a SirusXM receiver that uses docking stations or is it a Sat radio in a vehicle … or is it just an app on a phone?

I ask because you might pick up a used receiver set up like on Ebay and get a lower rate as a second receiver? Mount mine in trunk with wireless modulator 6" from antenna, no interferance that way. I just set my XM to my chosen channel & shut the trunk, like carrying my own radio station.

I know one guy used a wireless modulator and vehicle docking station in a belt with pockets, just plugged in his power when riding, antenna was magnetic and he stuck it someplace like a rack, etc.
We have a subscription for another vehicle but have the app on our phone where we can listen to it anywhere. I know we can buy the Sirus antenna from Honda, and have it that way. But I think the antenna and having it installed is about $100. And then you have to pay for another subscription to Sirus XM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your only option is to mount a good antenna. You may be able to hide it as a flagpole. Antenna vertical length is your friend.

If you don't want a visible antenna, try running a lead to one of the screws on your luggage rack.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
We have a subscription for another vehicle but have the app on our phone where we can listen to it anywhere. I know we can buy the Sirus antenna from Honda, and have it that way. But I think the antenna and having it installed is about $100. And then you have to pay for another subscription to Sirus XM.
A "second" receiver is much less per month, and I still use the original SkyFi that I started with in 2002, bulletproof, have several spares picked up cheap on E-bay.

A good "tuned" FM antenna is a coax with 16-18" of outer shielding stripped away, just saying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts