Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1997 GL1500 SE. The radio is ok and was checkout by Honda. I think theproblem is in theMute switch/control? Does anyone have adetail diagramofthe Mute/control switch or any other suggestion? The radio plays but very faint. Thanks

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Dennis,is the fault with the mute control switch at the handlebar,is it stuck in the mute position,if so....a short squirt of wd40 or similair together with working the switch in and out should cure the blighter,if this fails to resolve the matter you will need the wisdom of Exavid

Bob K.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Exavid will probably approve of No radio ("We don't need no steenking Radio " was what he said )... LOLOLOL.. but if the  WD-40 does not free it up ... Radio Shack has a contact cleaner that does the same thing, and works a little faster.. I used it on  my (non working )  CB switches, and it  brought them back to working ............. SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I have sprayed (heavy) both WD40 and Electrical switch cleaner into the switch. If I could take the switch cover apart, I might be able to see the switch problem? Looks like thecover is sealed? One other thing I have considered is locating the mute control wire and cut it. I'll use the volume control on the radio. Dennis

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

If the switch is not working trace it baack to the nearesr connector m and remeasure resistance from switch there If contact cleaner does not work WD 40will not clean switches very well all it does is free up rusty springs and movable contacts NOT the switch area itself.

Your alternative then is to A replace switch assembly (Saw one on ebay) or Bjust jumper the switch out at that connector

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Is the button out or stuck in? My bike's mute was stuck in when I got the bike, I used WD40 and a pair of pliers. Pad the pliers and work in and out on the button after you've dosed it with WD, don't try to yank it out, just press in and out gently. (yeah I know, this is an X rated repair) It took a bit of working like that to get mine free but it's worked fine for a good while now.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have considered locating the connector plug that runsto the radioand disconnecting it at the radio to see if the volume goes up? I don't know how much trouble this would be? Also, if the mute switch can be replaced, then there is a way to get into the box and look at the switch.The switch seems to be clicking in and out ok. I have worked it dozens of times with no result. Dennis

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dennis, I had the radio and CB control boxes off my bike. Actually they came loose on a trip. If you take the two screws that hold the plastic control unit to the handlebar you can get at the one screw inside that goes up through the radia control box and holds it in place. If I remember once that screw is out I think you can pull the switch panel out the front of the box. I'm not positive if it will slide right out or if it's got a tab that holds it in.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

You are right. I'll take the control box off the bike and look inside. If I can't get the switch to work, I'll think about removing the wire to it or buy a new switch.Can't be that complex, however no bike shop wants towork on it. Later, Dennis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.