Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, after spending 3 months collecting parts for a Clarion 2 system, I finally began the swap out today. I have a mix of new and used parts with the distribution component box and the intercom system with all parts being new.

I won't be installing a cassette player or the anttenna splitter. I'm running separate leads for the radio and cb. I found an adapter on ebay that fits a PL259 connector and adaptes it to the RCA male fitting to plug into the cb turner.

I have the 2nd antenna mount installed, cb coax and radio coax ran with plenty of lead to reach into the fairing. I'll be using the Honda folding antenna just for the radio and a 4 ft 5/8ths wave top loaded fiberglass antenna for the cb.

I have 2 Clarion 2 radio tuners and 2 Clarion 2 speaker amps. CB controls and readout gauge are new also. Also have 2 radio readout gauges. So it should all work even if I have to swap out a part or 2.

Now, 1 problem I'm looking at is the fairing it's self. Upon close inspection of the bottom of the right pocket and the mounting plate in the bottom of it I found this. It had been busted up pretty good by a previous owner and had a lot of fibergalss work done to it. Some one even glassed over the mounting plate the tuner bolts to. I'll have to drill some extra holes and use longer bolts to mount the tuner.

I'll also have to mount the cb tuner directly to the fairing since the one piece I'm missing is the mounting bracket for it.

In the mean time I'll be looking for a replacement fairing, hopefully one that's already the 82 Wineberry color.

Since I have no copies of any of the templates used to locate the components and their mounting hole locations I'll just have to use my better judgement for some of the units.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them of the damage and whatever solutions I come up with.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i can get you a pic of the bracket and send it to you if that will help . for the missing mont bracket on the cb . might even have a fairing that might be in better shape than yours . still going to need repair thro. but the price is right .

i think the holes for the monting of the type 2 are already there .

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
imported post

So, what's wrong with your Clarion 1 system?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Tired Rider wrote:
So, what's wrong with your Clarion 1 system?
Nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't have a cb. Giving it to my brother to put on an 83I

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
imported post

The one was stolen out of my 82 so I thought I would ask. Thanks...

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well, I've got it all installed, working on getting all the connections made properly. Will be able to test it tomorrow. Gonna have plenty of pics.

If you ever give any thought to do this, here's a suggestion. Start the install on the right side with the radio tuner and work your way around to the left side. That will make pulling all the cables a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I had a 1982 Interstate with no radio. It had dimples showing locations to drill the holes. Holes sizes as per Honda installation.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
I had a 1982 Interstate with no radio. It had dimples showing locations to drill the holes. Holes sizes as per Honda installation.
You are lucky then, as not all fairings have the hole locations marked. Mine only had the location for the speaker amp holes marked, the rest I had to make my own templates for.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Here's some pics of the install so far. First two are of the bad repair job of the fairing using fiberglass by a PO.

Cables ready for connecting.

Radio tuner ready fro install, had to drill monting holes all the way through the fiberglass and plastic bottom for screws since I couldn't use the correct mounting plate.

Distribution component unit installed and ready for connections.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Not that it probably matters any, but the tuner mounts the other way around - the screw holes mount to the mounting plate which is on the bottom of the fairing, and the green ground wire (which bonds the tuner box to its mounting plate) should be facing the front of the bike. In your case, I suspect whatever works will be fine.

The only thing I'd worry about is that the tuner is insulated somewhat from vibration by the soft rubber grommets on the mounting plate (which is why it needs the bonding wire - the mounting plate is grounded to the frame by the screws that go through to the underside of the fairing). By mounting the tuner directly to the fairing, you have no vibration insulation.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well, I gotcha on that. The grounding wire is attached underneath the radio to the screws that go all the way through the bottom of the fairing and the mounting plate that some one fiberglassed into the bottom. So it is grounded for now. As to the vibration problem i installed 3 rubber o-rings between the bottom of the radio and the fairing. We'll see how that does for now until I can get my hands on another fairing without all the damage mine currently has. I do have the correct mounting plate to use with a better fairing.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

It's done! It's in!. It works!!!!!!
:action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action:

Now to put the rest of the bike together and take it for a test ride tomorrow. Wouldn't you know it, I can't find my other 2 helmets anywhere to put the headsets in.

I had to switch out the speaker amp because the first one didn't put out equal volume to the left speaker, glad I had 2 to work with. The cb works fine, got the SWR down to 1 to 1 on channel 40, 1 to 1.5 on channel 19 and 1 to 2.0 on channel 1. Upper channels should transmit well.

Anybody got a couple of old 3/4 helmets they don't need? Don't care about the color as long as they fit. I wear a medium, the wife is a small.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Great! I have been following your progress. Glad to see that it is working out.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hey GS, I ended up switching the tuner around the right way. Cause the cables were a little to tight to my liking.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well, the bike is all back together and finally ready for a good cleaning and a test ride. I'll post some pics of the completed install tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Ok, last post, I swear. Here it is fully installed and playing both the radio and cb.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Looks great! Did you end up ordering a cable to hook up an MP3 player?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Nope, not yet on that cable. Funds are always low at this time of the month. Disability checks don't stretch very far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.