1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

Long time looker, first time poster...

Could anyone provide a photo of how the radio tuner/mute switch control is mounted on an 84 GL1200? Bike didn't come withradio or components (everything was missing) -- got a good deal on the whole package, but can't figure out how to mount this control...

It has the flat bracket, and looks like it's supposed to clamp onto something between that and the bottom of the control, but I'm just stumped. Maybe I'm missing some pieces.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

PM me with you e-mail and I will go out and take a pic of my dad's 84, it will be by camera phone, but should be what you need!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Here ya go, right from the manual.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the effort Bagmaster. That page is in my Favorites, and I'vereviewed that manual before. The control doesn't quite match up though -- here's a photo of what we're workin with. Maybe the control works better with an Aspy setup than my Interstate?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

That looks like a control that came off a 1500. let me check my manuals.

Nope, it's not a 1500 control, so must be a later model 1200 control.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You state your bike is an 84 and that's the year the manual covers. What year bike did this system come off of? Is the ebay link to the auction page still good? If so, post it.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Here's an 85 Aspencade on Ebay that has that style of control.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

All the ebay auction said was:85 GL1200 radio -- will fit 84-87 GL1200 Interstate and Aspencade models.

The control plugs in and works. I wanted to mount it OEM style, but maybe it was for an Aspencade setup only. I can make it work. Thanks for the insights

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Thought it was off an 85. The 84's came with the Clarion 3 system which you don't see too often. Honda switched to the Panasonic system in 85.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Good shots, Nightwizard40. Those should help him out a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I hope it does....I wasn't quiet sure how they were going to come out off the camera on the phone, and the angles I was getting them at:baffled:

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Great shots! And amazingly, 5 hours after the original post. Chalk up another win for cameras on phones.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Thought it was off an 85. The 84's came with the Clarion 3 system which you don't see too often. Honda switched to the Panasonic system in 85.
My Dad has a 84 Aspy with the Panasonic system......thats where the Pics came from

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Wing Bucket wrote:
Great shots! And amazingly, 5 hours after the original post. Chalk up another win for cameras on phones.

Thanks!
Sorry it took so long:cooldevil::cooldevil:.....if I had been in better Cell service for Nexhell I could have got them sent alot sooner:cheeky1:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Wing Bucket wrote:

Thanks!
Nothing slow about us on this site, except our riding!!!:action::action::action::action:

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

The 84 type 3 Aspencade system came with a lay down type control as shown in the diagram from the manual and the 85 thru 87 Aspencade used what I refer to as the stand up switch and that is what Wing Bucket has. The stand up switch required a special mounting bracket. As a side note all of the type 3 cb radios were shipped with the lay down type switch and if you ordered one for the 85 thru 87 Aspencade you also had to order a new cb control switch.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, with those pics as a guide I bet he could whip a home made bracket real quick!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.