Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently purchased an 88 GL1500. I had it shipped here from the seller. I noticed the radio did not work. After removing the seat I found an unhooked wire coming out of an amp. When I hooked up the wire to the battery (positive) the radio works. I know this has to be wrong (I tried to replace it with a fusible link).It still draws power w/o the key in the bike.Can anyone here tell me how to get the radio wired properly. Even a wiring diagram would be helpful. Also, needing CB and intercom headsets. Thanks, Ed

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Is the wire color a Light Green with Black tracer?
How long is the wire?
Does the wire come from the 18 pin White connector on the bottom of the Radio/Cassette
Where did you find the end of the wire?
Does the end of the wire look like it is broken off from somewhere?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

The wire is a generic 12 AWG. It is approx 2' long. It was attached to a 120 watt linear amp. The amp is located between the trunk and the passenger backrest.

I found the wire laying underneath the seat. The unattached end of the wire did not have any connectors on it. Sorry, but I am not sureif it attached anywhere else but the battery. Even the speaker wire job is bad. All I can tell you is that when it was touched to the positive terminal the radio worked.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

It is hard to say how it is wired since aPO must have added the amp.
Fuse #10, a 10 amp fuse,in the Fuse Relay Box is the OEM fuse for the Radio/Cassette. Also is for the Air Pump Relay. If Air pump works wouldn't be this fuse.
You also might check Fuse #1, a 5 amp fuse, Accessory Terminal fuse. Maybe PO wired power there.
Sorry I can't be of more help. Check the Members List and see if there is someone near you to give a hand.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Just a quick note to say I got the radio issue taken care of today. I ended up installing a relayand connecting it to the ACC fuse in the fuse box. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Headcase,

Just for future reference, here are the color pin-outs for Car Stereo wires. These should apply for just about any stereo. They are typically an industry standard.

Speakers

Front Left:

- is white/black

+ is white

Front Right:

- is grey/black

+ is grey

Rear Left:

- is green/back

+ is green

Rear Right:

- is purple/black

+ is purple

Power Supply

Red – This wire goes to the ignition (power when your key is on).

Yellow – Goes to battery. Always on (keeps your stereo presets etc alive).

Black – Goes to Chassis ground (direct wire to the battery preferred).

Control Wires

Blue – Power antenna control.

Blue/White – Aux power control that signals external devices to power up.

Orange/White – Dimmer control wire from your dash lights to control device backlights.

Any questions, please drop me a line.

Tim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.