Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read once on this fine site, where to can get a plug for the radio.I have a 1989 GL1500 and the radio as been removed so many time that the po ruined the plug and I am having problems with the handlebar tuner and mute.When it's not working you can wiggle the harness and evenually it will start working again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
About the only way you're going to get that plug, is to get a harness off a wreck, and try changing the plug body. (take macro pictures of both sides)

Or, splicing the replacement in, after cutting it off the replacement look. That can end up looking like oem, or a totally clobbered up mess, depending on the methods, tooling, parts used, desire to end up with a professional look, etc. Most of those jobs I've seen, were a ugly disaster!

Or, change out the entire chassis loom. (BIG JOB !) :eek: .

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GL1500 radio plug

Thanks oregonwinger.I guess I will have a big problem finding one.If I could fine the plug with short wires, I can solder the wires together and heat shrink them. I have gotten fairly good at that, installing lights & so on my Goldwing.Thanks again for your help.

·
Pwhoever
3,341 Posts
That connector (71-1720) is only a 16 pin connector and the radio calls for an 18 pin connector. When I installed an aftermarket radio, I used a Scosche DO01B connector to connect the new stereo to that plug on the wiring harness. The Metra equivalent for that was the 70-8405. These connectors are listed as being used for 99+ Daewoos. I cant seem to find the Scosche one you need but the Metra one is the 71-8405 and this should work. It will not be an easy task though.

·
Pwhoever
3,341 Posts
I don't think every pin slot has a wire in the new connectors so you may have to add a couple wires to the connector. It may be possible to pull each pin out of the old connector and replace them in the new connectors I mentioned and that would be a lot easier. One more thing that may come in handy is the pin out descriptions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.