Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone know of a radio that will fit in the faring where the stock radio mounts on a wing that came with out a radio? I would like some tunes but the radio iwas going to useis to long and sticks out almost as far as the ignation switch and that just will not do.

Pat

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

If your bike is an Aspencade then a car radio won't fit that space. You could buy an aftermarket (Motorola I think) housing for the Interstate that had speakers and a space for a car radio. But I don't think this is available anymore. What about trying for a used OEM radio on EBay? :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brian's suggestion is what I'd do, they come up on eBay often and if your bike is an Aspy, the installation is simple, just plug it in.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

No it's an Interstate.....with no extras. So it's pretty much a blank canvas. Im NOT gonna load it up with a bunch of chrome but i would like some tunes. The ones on ebay seem to go in the $175 range and that just seems crazy to me. So im gonna try to find a car radio that will fit the hole.

The other thing i want to put on it is a air compressor for the suspension. What all parts do i need to get off ebay to make a complete system.

Here it is when i first got it home before anywork had been done. It only has 11,627 miles on it.

Thanks

Pat

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
The ones on ebay seem to go in the $175 range and that just seems crazy to me. So im gonna try to find a car radio that will fit the hole.
The other thing i want to put on it is a air compressor for the suspension. What all parts do i need to get off ebay to make a complete system.

Pat
Installing a compressor system from an Aspencade to an Interstate is going to be a real job. What about getting a 12V tire compressor, mount it in a saddlebag, plumb it to the rear shocks with a tee fitting to a small pressure gauge mounted in the fairing? If you wanted to you could install a manual valve off it to run a hose for emergency tire inflation. A good bet for the front forks would be to install Progressive springs, get better handling and they don't need any air pressure. I'd tak a look at marine AM/FM radios rather than a car radio. One of the reasons the Honda OEM radio is more expensive is that it's designed to with stand rain. Car radios are not. Marine radios are designed to take some splashing. Search the net to find some that are shallow enough to mount in your fairing.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Marine radio now there is a good idea THANKS!.

Im gonna stick with the stock front springs cuz i just dont want to spend the dollars for new ones.

Your idea for a compressor will work and i have thought about it. Probably the easyest way to go. Just wont have the nice switch panal

Lets see need to get a oneway checkvalve to keep it from bleeding back through the compressor, Switching valve for front/rear, Small Air gauge, Lines.Maybe install the gauge before the switching valve so it will read line pressure. Should work and easyest way to do it;)

Pat

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Pat,

Although it's a tight squeeze, a car type radio does fit.

For my '84 Interstate I made a small wooden box as a sleeve for the radio and made mounting brackets that attach to the four screws that hold the mount and speakers to the fairing. The box was cut so that the radio is angled to about 30 degrees to clear the bars on full lock I've had this stereo and cd multichabgerfitted for about 4 yrs and not had any problems with stress on the mounting points or vibration through the fairing.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

A friend of mine installed a radio on his interstate using this Stereo Radio Bezel SE-T99-2020 available from http://www.chrometoys.com/38.html

I think you also need an amplifier of some sort though, normal car output isnt going to cut it.

I put one on my 84 interstate too but you need some sort of volume control handy, I was forever having to either turn it up as the wind noise increased or down whenever I came to a stop. I solved the problem by buying my 85 aspy :)
The nicest thing about the aspy is the integrated cb/intercom I couldnt do without the cb now I get much more fun out of chatting with my co-riders than ever listening to a tape or radio.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks that radio bezel might just be the ticket!.

I dont see me getting an Aspy but if someone wanted to trade me with a newer 1500 i dont know if i could refuse that offer:D

Pat

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
Lets see need to get a oneway checkvalve to keep it from bleeding back through the compressor, Switching valve for front/rear, Small Air gauge, Lines.Maybe install the gauge before the switching valve so it will read line pressure. Should work and easyest way to do it;)

Pat
Shouldn't need a check valve since that's what the output valve of a compressor is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.