Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We bought the goldwing last summer without a radio and we would really like one.
Any ideas of where to get one and if a 1983 1100 would fit?
We found that one on ebay for 80.00 does this sound right? When we went to the honda dealer here they were less than cooperative and sent us to a marina to see if they had a radio.

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Hello Srowell66, the link listed above is for a thread that I started. To duplicate that install, you will need to get one of the original "Cycle Sound" systems and modify it, or make your own mounting plate. The original Honda systems were mounted in the left fairing. They are very hard to come by and are very expensive. The "Cycle Sound" aftermarket system is mounted in the middle of the dashboard. If you have any questions about anything, please ask and someone will be happy to answer. Good Luck.
Joe

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I had a cheap Kraco stereo in my 87 1200I for several years and I recently repainted the bike so went with a new Sony. I bought the mounting bezel at goldwingchrome.com for around $25. You drill 4 holes to mount below the gages but the Sony (and others) slide into it perfect. I already had the fairing and dash out so Imade a bracket to tie the stereo to the gage cluster so is very solid. I also made a bracket bolted on the left handle grip for the remote. It works great and I have a total of around $200 including the new speakers. Paul

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,575 Posts
imported post

Hey Paul,
Can we get a pic of your setup.
I'd like to see your mounting plate.
Thanks,
Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I checked the Goldwing Chrome site and found this mounting plate. Here is the description:

IRC871 - Radio Mounting Bezel

Brand new radio mounting bezel for Goldwing GL1200 Interstate. This bezel allows you to mount automotive style radios in your Interstate Fairing. You simply take out the black protective cover and install the radio on the bezel and slide the radio into the fairing hole.

Reg. Price : $29.70
Sale Price : $27.00

IN STOCK

I don't need it, but I found some other stuff that I do need... Cool site.

Joe

Attachments

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,575 Posts
imported post

Look closely at the dimensions of that bezel. If I'm not mistaken, it's too long to fit in the GL12 dash.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I think it goes in the left fairing where the original Honda units were installed.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
imported post

I have an 87 Interstate and when I bought mine it had an aftermarket radio and cb that had the same bezel to mount the radio into the center fairing that looked great... I replaced it with the original hpnda radio and cb with no problems...you can find older radios on ebay under cb that have a radio and cb altogeather that will work... I have bought this kind for as much as $15 + shipping... you can still use the honda speakers that are located in your bike now no cycle sound is required... the bezel showen in the picture above is required so the older radios will fit as they are deeper in lingth then the honda radio, Im not shure the depth that you have so that you dont buy the wrong radio that is too long...

Grizly

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Look closely at the dimensions of that bezel. If I'm not mistaken, it's too long to fit in the GL12 dash.
The bezel fits but takes up the complete dash, where the clock or voltmeter is to the right is taken up by the bezel.

The original poster is showing an 83 in his avatar but states he is riding a gl1200 Interstate.

The dealer did him a favour by sending him to a marine dealer, those radios may be a little more moisture proof than a regular car radio.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I'll get a picture of mine. The bezel from goldwingchrome.com is $27 and goes in the opening below the gages. It fits all the way across from speaker to speaker. The best way is to take the center part of the dash out and mount it together first. You'll need to take out the windshield and headlight to do this but not that hard to do. I took a file to the sides to compensate for the angle of the transition to the gages but it's easy and looks good when done. As for the depth, a 7 1/4" or 7 1/2" deep stereo is all it will take or it will hit the fairing in front of it. This is a tight fit but works great. When you turn the handlebars from side to side, the unit clears but barely. Paul

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

maybe I misunderstood, I thought the description stated it went in the fairing, not the dash, but I guess both could be considered the fairing

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

The stock Interstate comes with two black plastic covers that snap in directly under the tach and speedometer. Take those out, cut the post where they join and this is screwed on where the two covers were all the way across, not meant for a fairing pocket. Hope this helps. I had an old Kraco that still had the two knobs and I used the longer original cover to the left side but now it's in the center and looks much better. I've also seen one of these that somebody made a rain cover out of a dark tinted plastic silverware tray from Target. Looked like it made for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.