Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the 80's I had rain gear that was made of a light weight rubberized nylon. The jacket had a hood and being light weight the hood fit under the helmet. This set up was absolutely positively waterproof for over 10 years.
I cannot find the same type of gear locally and cannot tell by looking online if (for instance) Frog Togs rain jackets are made of the same lightweight waterproof material.
Anybody have first hand experience with Frog Togs or any other brand that might "fit the specification??

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,746 Posts
Frog Toggs say "100% Polyester" but claims "breathable".
Good ol' DryRyder seems to be kaput.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,143 Posts
I have Frogg Toggs, and they feel a bit rubbery

been several years since I had to wear mine, so can't remember how "breathable they are".

I do recall though, that I wore them for more than 8 hours riding from Corpus Christi up to El Paso, Texas in a mixture of cold winds and some rain.... there is a bit of a danger aspect in that you can get to be feeling a bit warm and tend to want to go to sleep.

·
Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Frogg Toggs, and they feel a bit rubbery

been several years since I had to wear mine, so can't remember how "breathable they are".

I do recall though, that I wore them for more than 8 hours riding from Corpus Christi up to El Paso, Texas in a mixture of cold winds and some rain.... there is a bit of a danger aspect in that you can get to be feeling a bit warm and tend to want to go to sleep.
Thanks for the input - Sounds like a frog togs jacket might be the closest thing to what I am looking for. Up here in BC the concept of "not riding in rain for years" is unheard of. LOL. As to overheating never had that issue in the past so would expect it to be a non issue now. Remember BC is a cooler climate than the southern US.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,143 Posts
Tee Hee, didn't think about the geographic differences....
at the time that happened for me, my home was in Phoenix, AZ and being "cold" is not a typical experience. :cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've used Frogg Toggs for almost 20 years and they work very well and the hood does fit under the helmet. I've used other types as well. Frogg Toggs work best in warmer weather. In colder weather I prefer something lined.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I've used Frogg Toggs and like them. light weight and nice fit. I also have another brand, don'
t remember the brand but they are a bid type overall type, work well but bulky but the also keep you warm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No doubt the quality of Frogg Togg's jacket is good but their prices comparatively higher than other brands with the same quality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The market is filled with thousands of comparable brands, regardless of the cluster of options, we must choose the best one that should be reliable, comfortable, and most important waterproof. At the moment, I have a few brand names in my mind that should be compared.
Foggtogg, Vikingcycle, and Patagonia.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,143 Posts
when I was looking for a rain suit, in my mind, there were only two options.

the big clunky yellow garments that the company gave us, stiff as a board, and hot hot hot.

or, Frogg Toggs which IMO, is the best of the lot, or was.... never regretted buying them many years ago, and they are still as good as new. Always rolled up into the bag they came in.

I went with Yellow for visibility....

Not interested in the Woodsy looking stuff, which I am sure is even better at not ripping holes in the fabric... but, very dangerous for a motorcyclist, you would disappear right into the fog and get hit by traffic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts