Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:DI took the bike out from under the cover this morning to damp streets and a few puddles. I decided to ride to the girls' basketball scrimmage that I was planning to attend because the sky were blue and the silver-gray clouds that were there just tickled the edges of the skyline. Though I was a little tentative about riding on wet streets (prior experiences on smaller bikes have left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to weather), I thought I would be okay with what seemed to be presented. I got to the scrimmage, met my fellow boys team coaches and both watched and enthusiastically supported the girls on the floor (wow, they are really good). We stayed after and conversed about the spectacle we had just witnessed while we cleaned and cleared the gym. I finally walked out the gym door about two hours after I had arrived and it was pouring rain (where the heck did that come from)? Looks like the weather persons got the predictions right this time and I got caught out in the rain (literally):(. I consideredcovering the bike and calling for a ride home but reconsidered because we are out for Thanksgiving break and the school is pretty much locked down (definitely not a good place to leave my bike). I pulled on my helmet and gloves and zipped up my windbreaker. I even pulled on my riding gloves and wiped the water off the seat from where it had accumulated. Despite the weather and the new battery (just replaced as part of an overall electrical problem) she started right up and I hit the road. To my surprise, she handled very normally with no skittishness (the only tentativeness came from me and that soon waned as I found the comfort zone). To make matters even better, the rain ceased as I crested the hill at the top of the hill near the school entrance and the streets were dry about a mile thereafter. I know its not like a full ride in the rain forwhich I definitely was not prepared but it did give me a lot more confidence about future foul weather riding (I think I'll even throw the foul weather suit in the saddle bag along with the cover as winter sets in. Here in California our weather is more wet and less cold than the rest of the country so I expect I will ride right through it).

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I have been caught in the rain in the past with other bikes and didn't like it either. Then I got caught in the rain with the Wing and I was impressed at how well it handled. I don't look to ride in rain, but I don't shy away so easy anymore. It's funny when I say I'm going out for a spin and folks tell me " it's gonna rain" and I just tell them it's only water and I'll air dry.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

We had the same rain only a bit earlier. Got almost to work and the downpour started. One of my fellow workers said they passed me in the rain and I had this big grin on my face. Don't remember doing that, but OK, that is fine. It is a welcome site in California, the rain that is. My heart pours out to the fire victims and now gearing up for mud flow control. :angel2:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I bought my wing in late July, got it home from my first ride as the sun set. You may think me foolish, but you know how the bug bites ya??

My wife was attending a murder trail in Kansas City, her cousin was one of the victims of a very sadistic couple. I was to go down to be with her the first day of the trial, so I hit the road at 7 am, very unfamiliar with this heavyweight cruiser. It was raining out, but I'd prepared by buying rain gear the day before, I knew IHAD to take my first ride that day.

Rode on 4 lanes the entire trip in the rain, the first 50 miles in little traffic and light rain. Got off to wipe windshield off after 25 miles, parked on downhill on-ramp whch led back onto the highway. Wiping the windshield, I learned my first GoldWing lesson: don't park downhill in neutral. The bike began to ease forward, kickstand slipped up, and she laid down on her left side. Hadn't tried to pick one up before, and of course, had to wait for a good guy to help, which arrived shortly.

Back on the road without further incident, when I hit the interstate for the second 50 miles into KC, I rode the entire way in very heavy rain and traffic, visibility was a bit tough due to the heavy rain. In trying to stay with the traffic and not get rear-ended, I was sometimes up to 80 mph, right alongside big semis and heavy water. Should have gotten off and sat it out, but I felt I was my wife's rock that morning, and needed to get there.

Long and short, that sweet bike did the trip as if there were no downpour, I was somehow able to see finethrough my huge windshield, and was so impressed with my new ride. Wife was standing outside the courthouse, just as the rain had ended, and saw me ride up for the first time, as she hadn't seen the bike yet. Both happy, the day and trial itself went well, but in retrospect, I realize I'd really risked my life that first day of breaking in a new, larger ride. I'm sure I wasn't riding alone......

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
I bought my wing in late July, got it home from my first ride as the sun set. You may think me foolish, but you know how the bug bites ya??

My wife was attending a murder trail in Kansas City, her cousin was one of the victims of a very sadistic couple. I was to go down to be with her the first day of the trial, so I hit the road at 7 am, very unfamiliar with this heavyweight cruiser. It was raining out, but I'd prepared by buying rain gear the day before, I knew IHAD to take my first ride that day.

Rode on 4 lanes the entire trip in the rain, the first 50 miles in little traffic and light rain. Got off to wipe windshield off after 25 miles, parked on downhill on-ramp whch led back onto the highway. Wiping the windshield, I learned my first GoldWing lesson: don't park downhill in neutral. The bike began to ease forward, kickstand slipped up, and she laid down on her left side. Hadn't tried to pick one up before, and of course, had to wait for a good guy to help, which arrived shortly.

Back on the road without further incident, when I hit the interstate for the second 50 miles into KC, I rode the entire way in very heavy rain and traffic, visibility was a bit tough due to the heavy rain. In trying to stay with the traffic and not get rear-ended, I was sometimes up to 80 mph, right alongside big semis and heavy water. Should have gotten off and sat it out, but I felt I was my wife's rock that morning, and needed to get there.

Long and short, that sweet bike did the trip as if there were no downpour, I was somehow able to see finethrough my huge windshield, and was so impressed with my new ride. Wife was standing outside the courthouse, just as the rain had ended, and saw me ride up for the first time, as she hadn't seen the bike yet. Both happy, the day and trial itself went well, but in retrospect, I realize I'd really risked my life that first day of breaking in a new, larger ride. I'm sure I wasn't riding alone......
Glad you made that first ride just fine. BTY, I used to deliver potato chips in your town back in the early 70's. Yeppers, I was the Frito Bandito!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Worked out of Bethany, Mo. 1-man warehouse at the airport.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've ridden a few times in light rain where I didn't even put on my rain gear. Here in Florida in the summer, a light rain is like airconditioning. :cheeky1:

But I've also had two different days where I rode for hours in heavy rain. One was a PGR ride with Nancy along. Another was by myself miles from home and needed to keep going.

Even in rain where cars were driving 45 on I75 with their flashers on, the 1200 handled like a champ in it.

Had a pickup go by me and I noticed the good looking woman passenger, checking out the idiot riding in the rain. As they went by me, she gave me a smile and a big thumbs up.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Living in the Pacific Northwest you either get used to riding in the rain or don't ride much. I usually put on about 15,000 miles a year so you can safely assume that I've introduced my Goldwing to many miles of rain, light misty rain to heavy gully washers. While I much prefer to ride in warm sunny weather I don't consider rain a real problem especially on a faired Goldwing. I keep my windshield low enough so I can see over it, that sure improves visibility in rain. I also wear a helmet with a face shield in poor weather. The windshield doesn't catch it all. Best rain gear I've found for riding is a set of Frogg Toggs. These are durable, very light and pack up in a mesh bag smaller than a cantaloupe. They definitely will keep you dry and better yet don't get damp on the inside from perspiration or condensation. Waterproof gloves are an important part of my normal stuff in the saddlebag too. Wet hands in cool weather aren't very comfortable. Add a pair of waterproof boots or slip over gaiters and you're in fine shape for rain and pretty cold weather.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

I didn't get to ride my 1500 enough to experience but 3 or 4 "rainstorms" of about 15 minutes each.

One of those was from Showlow to Payson, AZ and it was a fine ride. Really enjoyed it. The 29" tall windscreen is more than most would want for rainy weather, but I kind of enjoyed it.

As long as the bike was moving forward at 25 mph or more, nary a drop would get on me. Well, almost nary a drop :)

The other times were in city traffic on our freeway loops. there the traffic idiots drive with rubber bands. speed up to 75 mph and slam on the brakes and come to a halt. That makes me nervous in wet weather even more so than dry weather. Anyhow, it is those stops where I got all wet. speed down at 10 mph or less got me real damp :D

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Hey Bagmaster, good to hear from you. Move back anytime, I need someone to ride with!

Not sure I'd trade our weather for yours, though.....now that you can compare, you'll sure stay there and ride more often. I do expect to ride throughout the winter, on the days that get into the high 40's or so.

Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

Always have rain gear on the bike. Never go anywhere without it. You never know when you need it.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

I thought I was going to ride in the rain today but I was going to ride come he!! or high water. Having riding withdrawals since I haven't been able to ride but once in 2 weeks. Not the weather as much as it's dark when I leave for work and dark before I get home and the deer are moving quite a bit right now so I prefer not to ride in the dark. Anyway it didn't rain on me but I did encounter some wet roads where it had been raining.Only went about 185 miles. It was 50 degrees F. the whole time and kind of damp but I feel better now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.