Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We have a 1994 gl1500 interstate. Is there a way to raise the front end. I want to raise it higher more clearance. I have been searching the forums for a way but havent found anything

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

There might be a taller tire available.

JD

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Heavier fork oil will also help, but Progressives are the best way to do it.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You can slide the tubes down a little bit in the triple tree clamps.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Not mentioned - adding a spacer (length of pipe will do) at the top of the springs (below the spring cap). You're limited to about 2" if you're using OEM springs that are in good condition (not sagged) and even at that, you may find yourself topping out on the suspension.

Some of the trike companies still use tube extenders (essentially a threaded stub-tube that replaces your existing spring cap so that the actual tube end can be placed below the top tripple-clamp.

May I ask... How high are you looking to go? What are you trying to get over that clearance in the front only would help?

Remember also, that the performance of the stands will be affected; sharper lean angle for the side stand and a more neutral (less loaded) position when on the center stand. That, and lifting the front will increase the trail value which, coupled with exposing the 1500's belly to the wind) may change the feel of your ride more than you'd expect (IMHO)

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Satan it is a trike, well its a 1500 with a voyager trike kit on it. So the side stand and center stand arent even on it any more. I want more clearance on front so the belly plate bolts will stop hitting speed bumps and places in our drive. Especially when I pull out of a store parking lot on to highway it always hit that rise in the driveway just before edge of road. So I want what ever i can get! 2 inches would be fantastic If your not familar the belly plate for the trike kit is right under engine so raising front will help that to. what size diameter pipe spacers? do you cut them out of water pipe or aluminum pipe just anything?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Clean water pipe ought'a do ( I use DOM scrap here with a washer that's thick enough to keep the spring from acting up.

I try to get a spacer that'll sit well within the tube and the cap (without shifting from side to side, then take a fender washer that's only just small enough to fit itno the tube -- cover the existing spring with the fender washer, then stack your spacer on top of that THEN you get to try and shove the spring and spacer into the tube as you re-thread the spring caps.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

I would think that you'd also need to Lengthen the two front brake lines, to compensate for the additional distance to the now-lengthened forks.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Take that useless belly pan off and you won't be so low to the ground underneath. You said the 'trike belly plate', is that just like the same plate you can buy aftermarket for a two wheeler or is it integral to the trike build?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Alex, I wouldn't think the brake lines would be an issue when adding the spacers in the tubes. They should be long enough to reach with the forks fully extended already. He is not lengthening the fork tubes, just making them not compress so far when sitting normally.

Ok I just re-read the thread and I see you were referring to the tube extenders. That might cause an issue with the brake lines.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Satan mentioned tube extenders. In the 60's The brit bike guys who wanted the chopper look would use what were then called slugs. They were about 6" long and would screw into the top of the fork legs in lieu of the caps. You then screwed the original cap onto them. They were just the right length so that the splice was hidden by the lower triple clamp. Looked good on paper, but as you can imagine there was a great deal of stress on that joint in the lower clamp and that is where they would break off. Very unpleasant results.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
Satan mentioned tube extenders. In the 60's The brit bike guys who wanted the chopper look would use what were then called slugs. They were about 6" long and would screw into the top of the fork legs in lieu of the caps. You then screwed the original cap onto them. They were just the right length so that the splice was hidden by the lower triple clamp. Looked good on paper, but as you can imagine there was a great deal of stress on that joint in the lower clamp and that is where they would break off. Very unpleasant results.
Geez, FeButter, I used to work on alot ofbikes back then and never seen anything like that (but believe it $$$$$$). Were those sold in the US ???? For what bikes??? that joint had to be below the bottom of the tree (or as one would think (the shear point...:ROFL:) Is there any archived info on this thing, i'd love to read about it. What bikes were they available for...if you got any info and don't want totaint the original post, feel free to PM me with it.... Al

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

FWIW, here's a link to a source -- http://www.billski182.com/ACE_Fork_Extensions.htm

These fit the Honda Ace which is also a 41mm tube I'd suspect the threading to be the same... (IMHO - Slugs are scary when you're talking a 900-lb touring bike with a 30* tree - they'd be scarier on a trike, but you may be able to get away with 2"...)

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I've been thru Rockhill SC.......

OK the biggest bikes they make them for is the Sportster and VTX 1300 and the longest tube is 4"..... That should still keep the joint in between the triple tree offering a bit more strentgh. FeButter was talking 6" on a Brit bike....the trees were alot shorter cause the bikes were alot lighter and smaller.

Must be some math there that makes them safe though. Take putting in a set of progressive springs, look at the end tube and fine thread the cap has to hold it. Technically you could say one good chuckhole and high impact would blow that cap(s) off.....and the front end would collapse. Those thread can't be holding much, it's so easy to cross thread the cap when pushing all that pressure down. And what's it got 4 or 5 threads to the bottom.

We used to buy longer tubes for Harleys back in the day, I wonder if the still make those? You had to tear the front end apart, but the tubes were one piece. How about some 8" over GW tubes.... They used to make them so long you couldn't see over the risers.....ah it was always saftey first back in the 70's......I think 'Amen' made them, I bought a couple rigid frames off them too.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks guys. Since im third owner on 94 springs are probably getting weak. Think its time to probably replace with progressive springs 10 weight oil and 2 inch spacers. Satan I have contacted the bilski site you put on here and looked at their web page. Waiting for reply from them now. thanks, Predator i dont understand either they put a fine thread on something thats supposed to hold 40 pounds of air presure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.